Share Our Holiday Table: Sundried Tomato Polenta Bites

Today, I’m featuring Share Our Holiday Table, a virtual, progressive fund-raising dinner designed to raise awareness of child hunger in the U.S. and raise funds for Share Our Strength during the critical holiday season. One in 4 kids in the USA faces hunger. Their next meal could come from you :)  Learn how to help here.  More than 50 bloggers are participating in this Holiday Table and the dinner will unfold across 7 courses and in 4 tracks (Gourmet, Family-Friendly, Gluten Free and Vegetarian) from now through December 14th.

I was tasked with providing a gourmet appetizer for this event, and I’ve chosen to share with you my Sundried Tomato Polenta Bites, a perfect appetizer treat for a holiday party that is simple enough to assemble, festive-looking and delicious.

Making the polenta rounds couldn’t be easier. Hot milk is infused with herbs and garlic, then drained and mixed with the polenta… which is cooked for several minutes until it gets really thick. It’s then spread into a pan and cooled. I used a 1-inch round to punch out small bite-sized polenta rounds, but you can certainly use any size you’d like. Just refrigerate these guys until you’re ready to continue the recipe.  Fry them up in a little oil to lightly brown both sides (again, you can make the fried polenta rounds until you’re ready to assemble… just warm them again when you’re ready to serve!)

A simple pesto is made from fresh basil, pistachios, Parmesan cheese and olive oil. (If you wanted to use purchased pesto as a quickie sub, that would be ok, too.)  Assembling the bites… you’ll need the sauteed polenta rounds, pesto, chunks of goat cheese, sundried tomatoes and some chopped pistachios (optional).

See?  Festive and delicious!  This is a great make-ahead appetizer recipe (see recipe for details).  And it also just happens to be naturally gluten-free!

This recipe can be found here:  Sundried Tomato Polenta Bites

And if you’d like to donate to Share Our Strength this holiday season… helping to ensure that no child goes hungry, you can donate HEREEven just a $25 donation helps feed a child 3 meals a day for an entire month.

Visit the other bloggers who are participating in this virtual dinner party!
APPETIZERS:

The Italian Dish- Parmesan Gougeres
Neo-Homesteading- Potato, Bacon & Onion Pizza
Family Fresh Cooking- Cheese & Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms
Giving Up on Perfect- Tortilla Rolls & Seven Layer Dip
Two Peas and Their Pod- Cranberry, Orange-Brie Crostini
Smith Bites- Dates Stuffed w/ Parmesan Slivers & Walnuts
La Fuji Mama- Endive Boats with Pomegranate, Avocado & Crab
Wenderly- Prosciutto- Wrapped Asparagus

30 Responses to “Share Our Holiday Table: Sundried Tomato Polenta Bites”

bellini — December 6, 2010 @ 3:30 AM

I love this idea on how to spread the word about child hunger for food bloggers Laurie.

Heather — December 6, 2010 @ 5:46 AM

i’m officially going to grow up and make my own polenta immediately…these are the most beautiful appetizers!

cat — December 6, 2010 @ 7:11 AM

These look great, I’ve never actually made polenta before. I should try it!

Wenderly — December 6, 2010 @ 8:03 AM

What darling & festive little bites!! LOVE them!

Dana — December 6, 2010 @ 8:08 AM

Such a beautiful appetizer, Lori! I absolutely love polenta and that is a perfect bite!

The Italian Dish — December 6, 2010 @ 9:53 AM

Fantastic, Lori. These are a great idea.

Shirley @ gfe — December 6, 2010 @ 10:07 AM

That last photo makes me want to reach through the screen, Lori! Wow! :-)

I’m so happy to be participating in this event; it’s such an important cause. Thanks for sharing this terrific recipe and promoting this really critical need!

Shirley

maria — December 6, 2010 @ 11:26 AM

Great appetizer recipe for parties!

marla — December 6, 2010 @ 1:15 PM

These are elegant & perfect for the gourmet category. So glad to be a part of this wonderful charity event with you :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 6, 2010 @ 1:18 PM

These are so creative! I love all the flavor combos you put together too!

What a wonderful charity!

Clay — December 6, 2010 @ 1:23 PM

Thank you for participating in the promotion! Your photos are really lovely. We appreciate your support.

Mary — December 6, 2010 @ 1:55 PM

Yum! This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing. It’s great to work with you for Share Our Strength!

SMITH BITES — December 6, 2010 @ 2:58 PM

love polenta, love sundried tomatoes, love that these are make-ahead . . . my kind of appetizer!! gorgeous photo too!

Ann L. Miller-Tobin — December 6, 2010 @ 4:58 PM

Lori those look wonderful. I love polenta cakes but can never get them to turn out right. I may be inspired to give it another try and try these.

Heather — December 6, 2010 @ 5:05 PM

Beautiful! The perfect bite… mmmmm.

Kathy - Panini Happy — December 6, 2010 @ 5:20 PM

Delicious flavors and holiday colors too – love it!

Diane-thewholegang — December 6, 2010 @ 7:14 PM

These look great! I think I’ll have to add them to my party menu, just a slight adjustment since I’m gf and dairy free. What a great event. I’m excited to participate.

Carol Peterman — December 6, 2010 @ 8:03 PM

Beautiful start to the meal! I think I’ll be making these for a New Year’s party. I’m looking forward to posting my dessert for this meal next week.

nina — December 6, 2010 @ 8:04 PM

A lovely alternative to the normal starchy snacks. Love the color combination, whish I could taste it too!

Gluten Free Diva — December 6, 2010 @ 8:51 PM

I’m so excited to be participating in this event. The recipes from the first day, including yours, are just fabulous. What a party we will have on Xmas! I’m definitely going to include your recipe on my menu!

Katie — December 7, 2010 @ 3:45 AM

I LOVE everything about this recipe! I’ve been cooking a lot more with polenta and this is a really great new twist. I also love how festive this looks!

maggy@threemanycooks — December 7, 2010 @ 7:37 AM

Lori! These look fantastic. So delicious.

A Canadian Foodie — December 7, 2010 @ 8:36 AM

I just spent the last half hour browsing the site, contributing, and then deciding where to add my name – which category. Then, I panicked. I can rarely meet schedules. I have a myriad of blogs to come out backed up, and none seemed appropriate. Then I was thinking about what I am cooking over the holidays, and nothing really fit, either. I am going to work at it. I have added the badge to my site. This is such a worthy cause, and though I am Canadian, I would be thrilled to support this initiative in the US. This appetizer looks scrumptious and the photography is incredible. I am headed to bootcamp photography in Feb. Cannot wait. When I saw pistachios go into your pesto, I almost dove in myself!
    Valerie

Theresa — December 7, 2010 @ 4:38 PM

Yum! I’m so going to have a go at this!

grace — December 8, 2010 @ 2:49 AM

oh, this i like. i like this. like this, i do. it’s dainty and elegant yet totally doable. bravo!

LilSis — December 8, 2010 @ 7:59 PM

I LOVE these perfect little bites!! What a great combo of flavors! I’ve never attempted to make my own Polenta, but you do make it sound pretty easy so I’ll be making these soon. They’re perfect for the holidays. :-)

the urban baker — December 12, 2010 @ 9:03 PM

wow, those are gorgeous. i love being a part of this progressive dinner with all of you wonderful “foodies”. such a great cause. we have to do more of this!

Michelle — December 13, 2010 @ 8:36 PM

Oh, how I love polenta! These look amazing. Thank you for being part of our online progressive dinner party! xoxox

Lori Lange — December 13, 2010 @ 10:34 PM

@Michelle, Thank you & my pleasure!

Jeanette — December 14, 2010 @ 10:59 AM

Beautiful appetizers in support of a wonderful cause. Love your photos, all so cheery!