This Cranberry Caramelized Onion Cheese Spread recipe has a layer of blended cream cheese, cheddar and blue cheeses, and it’s topped with caramelized onions, cranberries and a touch of balsamic.
Yield: 24 servings
Prep Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Cranberry Caramelized Onion Cheese Spread
- 1 (8 ounce) package light cream cheese, softened
- 1 (4 ounce) package crumbled blue cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded Cheddar, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced and quartered
- 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and blue cheese with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add cheddar cheese; beat until well-blended. Spread in shallow serving bowl or plate. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors.
- Meanwhile, caramelize the onions: Heat oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2 to 4 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in 1 teaspoon sugar. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until onion is soft and golden, stirring occasionally. Remove onion from skillet; set aside.
- In same skillet, combine cranberries, remaining sugar and water. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until cranberries begin to pop and mixture thickens, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar and onions. Cool slightly.
- To serve: Bring cheese spread to room temperature. Spoon cranberry mixture over cheese spread and sprinkle with walnuts. Serve with assorted crackers.
SOURCE: RecipeGirl.com (adapted from Ocean Spray)