posted in Cake and Cupcakes

Irish Cream Cupcakes w/ Bailey’s Buttercream Frosting

I baked a boatload of cupcakes for my son’s basketball team party the other day. To be quite honest with you, I made a couple of boxed mix cupcakes – Devil’s Food and Funfetti- because 1. KIDS DON’T CARE and 2. BOYS WILL EAT ANYTHING. When I’m looking to make something a little more special, I avoid the boxes. They tend to have that “boxed mix” flavor, which I think is so very noticeable. For this party, I made a special cupcake just for the adults: Bailey’s Irish Cream Cupcakes.

The batter has quite a lot of Bailey’s mixed into it, along with some miniature chocolate chips.

All baked up and ready for some Bailey’s Buttercream Frosting!

Here’s the tip I used: a Wilton 2D. And here’s the process I used for frosting these:

I squeezed on one petal at a time… all the way around the edges of the cupcake and then one petal squeezed into the middle to finish it off.

And there they are… simple little Irish Cream Cupcakes without an overwhelming amount of frosting.

Add some green glitter if you wish- for a festive St. Patrick’s Day vibe.

And keep these liqueur- infused cupcakes away from the kids. Unless you’re looking to get them sleepy. Not that I advocate that sort of thing, but… stick with Funfetti for the team parties. Can’t go wrong there!

Yield: 24 cupcakes

Prep Time: 45 min

Cook Time: 20 min

Chocolate Chip- Irish Cream Cupcakes w/ Bailey's Buttercream

This Bailey's-infused cupcake is especially for the cupcake-loving adults out there...

3/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
1/2 Tablespoon cake flour
2 3/4 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
10 Tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
3/4 cup Irish Cream Liqueur (Bailey's)

1 cup butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
4 Tablespoons Bailey's Irish Cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake tins with 24 cupcake liners.

2. In a small bowl, toss together chocolate chips and 1/2 Tablespoon flour.

3. Sift together dry ingredients- flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.

4. In a large bowl, use electric mixer to combine cream cheese and butter. Add sugars and vanilla; beat until blended. Add eggs and beat until incorporated. With mixer on low, add flour mixture and liqueur alternately to the wet mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Gently stir in chocolate chips.

5. Spoon batter into cupcake liners, filling them almost to the top (they shouldn't rise much). I like to use an ice cream scoop to get the batter neatly into the liners. Bake cupcakes 18 to 22 minutes, or until centers of cupcakes are set.

6. To make buttercream: Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Use electric mixer to blend together; mix until smooth and creamy.

Cupcake Source: (Adapted from this Irish Cream Cake by Anna Ginsberg).

Buttercream Source: (Adapted from

68 Responses to “Irish Cream Cupcakes w/ Bailey’s Buttercream Frosting”

1. postedMar 16, 2011 4:19 AM

These are so pretty! I love that frosting technique! I always get so intimidated when it comes to frosting cupcakes.

2. postedMar 16, 2011 4:32 AM

These really are perfect for St. Patricks day. Great recipe!

3. postedMar 16, 2011 5:02 AM
    The Food Hound

YUM!! I have Bailey’s! I need to make these!!

4. postedMar 16, 2011 5:24 AM

That frosting sounds so good, I’d probably use a lot more of it:-)

5. postedMar 16, 2011 7:02 AM

these look delicious!!!

6. postedMar 16, 2011 7:22 AM

holy yum! Can I have a shot of frosting, please? πŸ˜‰

7. postedMar 16, 2011 7:31 AM

I cannot wait to make these!!! They look fantastic!

8. postedMar 16, 2011 7:50 AM

Beautiful pictures & these sound delectable. We have a weakness for cupcakes… Will be baking these soon. Thanks for posting!

9. postedMar 16, 2011 7:54 AM

Oh, how I love Bailey’s Irish Cream! That does seem like alot of Bailey’s in the cupcakes – I’m interested to try these. They’re beautiful – thanks!

10. postedMar 16, 2011 7:57 AM

I know what you mean about kids not caring. I once made a gorgeous batch of cupcakes with the most heavenly Swiss meringue buttercream – the kids hated them.

These look lovely!

11. postedMar 16, 2011 7:59 AM

I forgot to mention that I think kids are just used to store-bought frosting – that bettercreme stuff that in my opinion is just gross.

12. postedMar 16, 2011 8:06 AM

I sure do enjoy a little taste of Bailey’s every once in a while. And what a great way to use it in baking! Perfect for celebrating St. Paddy’s Day!

13. postedMar 16, 2011 8:20 AM

How pretty! I’d say these are a perfect St. Patrick’s Day Treat! Mmmm!

14. postedMar 16, 2011 8:37 AM

These sound awesome Laurie!

I made DOUBLE CHOCOLATE STOUT CUPCAKES w IRISH CREAM BUTTERCREAM FROSTING last night using Young’s Double Chocolate Stout. OMG, the best cupcakes ever…such rich and unbelievable flavor.

Looks like we are all about cupcakes today!

15. postedMar 16, 2011 10:13 AM

What a great treat!

16. postedMar 16, 2011 12:45 PM

These look and sound gorgeous. A whole batch for me please :)

17. postedMar 16, 2011 1:22 PM

Lori, these cupcakes are so fun & I love the way you piped them too. Keep me on the adults list πŸ˜‰

18. postedMar 16, 2011 1:50 PM
    lori renn

thanks for posting! i’ve been looking for some irish cream cupcakes to bake. i’m not really into the guiness stout one and that’s what everyone is posting! :)

19. postedMar 16, 2011 3:39 PM

Major, major yum. I can’t wait to try these, especially that frosting!!

20. postedMar 16, 2011 6:07 PM
    Mr. Recipe Girl

These were tasty!!!

21. postedMar 16, 2011 9:20 PM

These are so darn pretty, Lori. Perfect for the adult side of the table.

22. postedMar 17, 2011 3:46 AM

PERFECT cupcakes! Happy St. Patrick’s Day :)

23. postedMar 17, 2011 6:37 AM
    The Food Hound

I just made these and blogged about them!! Thanks for sharing! Your pics are soooo much better than mine :) I have a killer camera now, but I’m cursed with bad lighting! Oh well, they are still delish!!

24. postedMar 17, 2011 9:46 AM

As much as it’s almost “against my baking religoin” πŸ˜‰ to use boxed mixes, they ARE really nice. I just made my son a cake with a boxed mix for his birthday–because you’re totally right–they just don’t care.
    Great post, Lori.

25. postedMar 17, 2011 12:06 PM

I made this today and they are delicious! Should I store these at room temperature or in the fridge?

• March 17th, 2011 @ 12:22 PM

@Dana, Either- we had ours at room temp for a couple days and they were still fine.

• March 17th, 2011 @ 1:50 PM

@Lori Lange,
        Thanks! Not sure I will need to store them for long, I can’t stop eating them! :)

26. postedMar 17, 2011 12:55 PM

After going all out for the kids for Valentine’s Day, I decided to make something for the grown-ups for St. Patrick’s Day. I made these cupcakes and they are absolutely amazing! I blogged about them here:

27. postedMar 18, 2011 9:00 PM

Yum! I make Bailey’s icing too and it’s so good…thanks for the decoration step by step. I was going to ask what tip you used.

28. postedMar 19, 2011 8:35 AM

Killer cupcakes, Lori!! I’ve already copied the recipe. Wonder if they freeze? Would the Bailey’s make them soggy after a while?

29. postedMar 19, 2011 9:34 AM

It’s true that I think these cupcakes look SO good. And I can’t wait to veganize that recipe. But what has my chin on the floor are the photographs. Love ’em!

30. postedMar 20, 2011 2:47 PM
    Alicia@ eco friendly

Oh wow these cupcakes look awesome!I bet they are delicious!

31. postedMar 22, 2011 3:51 PM

Hi Lori,

Thanks for crediting me! I appreciate it. I also made cupcakes out of my recipe over on Cookie Madness back in February.

32. postedApr 3, 2011 12:52 AM

holy hell! i think i love you!

33. postedApr 22, 2011 1:34 PM
    cheryl jagow

I made them and they were soooooo good! The office ate them all!

34. postedMay 21, 2011 11:03 PM

Hi! I tried these out and though they were good, I chose to make something else for the customers that had ordered from me. The cupcake was not really what I was looking for, it did remind me a bit of a chocolate chip cookie with Bailey’s in it. I thought that although the frosting had good flavor, it was a bit heavy, greasy.

Having said all that, I would make these cupcakes again without the Bailey’s and serve them as a chocolate chip cupcake!

What I ended making in the end was a zucchini chocolate cupcake and a vanilla frosting where I substituted Bailey’s for some of the milk, worked great! Thanks anyway Recipe Girl/Lori!! I am sure I will try other recipes, but I like to leave honest feedback for the things I have tried!

• May 22nd, 2011 @ 8:48 AM

Appreciate that!

35. postedJun 27, 2011 6:08 PM

I can’t wait to try these! I completely agree with you about kids eating anything. I remember making cute cupcakes from scratch with homemade frosting for my young son’s birthday and the kids couldn’t have cared less. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

36. postedAug 3, 2011 4:22 AM

These were a phenomenal birthday hit for my best friend! Thank you so much and they looked so very pretty on my blog. :)

37. postedAug 20, 2011 7:06 AM

Tried to make these today, but I failed. I already know my mistakes. I forgot the eggs so I put it in on the end, I guess that didn’t work out very well. Also, I halved the recipe so maybe I made some mistakes in that. They collapsed at 14-15ed minute of baking. Going to make some simple vanille + chocolate chips cupcakes now and I do am going to make a Bailey’s buttercream tomorrow. We’ll see!

38. postedDec 5, 2011 2:19 AM

Just made these. No at all impressed. They were heavy and dry and the choc chips seemed to bring out the bitter alcohol taste from the Baileys. I will never make these again. I had friends try them and they said they didn’t want a second one. Not good. :(

39. postedDec 31, 2011 6:09 PM

Wow! These are amazing! I love the frosting! The cupcake tastes a lot like a very moist chocolate chip cookie but I love it. I had a lot of extra frosting but I’m sure I will find a use for it πŸ˜‰

40. postedFeb 5, 2012 8:26 AM

I found these cupcakes a few weeks ago and made them for a dinner I was having.. Since then I have made these ohh about 5 times! Everyone keeps asking for them! Even the kids love them without the frosting! I am making them for the sixth time today for a friend to bring to a superbowl party! Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe!

41. postedFeb 7, 2012 12:45 PM
    domestic droid

I’m sorry to say so, but this is the absolute worst recipe I’ve ever tried. The cupcakes were tough and heavy. I just wasted a lot of ingredients to make these irish cream cupcakes.

However, the frosting was wonderful.

• February 7th, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

Sorry you didn’t enjoy- since they are adapted from a pound cake recipe, they are definitely a dense cupcake and almost more cookie-like than cake. Everyone in my camp liked them and it looks like they’ve gotten totally mixed reviews…

42. postedMar 1, 2012 10:04 AM

Hi Lori,

THX for that recipe! Tomorrow’s a friend’s birthday and when I asked him what kind of cupcakes he’d like, he went: “Is there such a thing as Bailey’s cupcakes?”. So I googled, found this.. and am excited to try it out tomorrow!

• March 1st, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

Thx- hope he likes these. They are more of a pound cake than a light and fluffy cupcake, so a more dense texture.

43. postedMar 11, 2012 8:15 PM

My son doesn’t like boxed cakes or canned icing. Of course he has me for a mom. Lol. By the way the alcohol is burned off in the baking so if the kids like the taste then just make the cupcakes and make a non-alcoholic version of the icing.

44. postedMar 17, 2012 5:10 PM

Made these today and they are delicious. Will defiantly be making these again in the future!

45. postedMar 17, 2012 6:44 PM

I just finished making these and they’re delicious! The icing is especially amazing. I could eat the whole bowl of icing with a spoon! Thanks so much for sharing.

46. postedMar 20, 2012 7:29 AM

I made these for a St. Patrick’s day party. I hate to say it but I was soo disappointed. The cupcake was heavy and the top tough but the overall flavor was good. The frosting was over the top sweet and they were not a hit. It’s too bad because they were very pretty. I wouldn’t make them again

• March 20th, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

Thank you for your honest review- they are definitely mor of a pound cake- type cupcake.

• March 20th, 2012 @ 8:41 AM

Thank you for your honest review- they are definitely more of a pound cake cupcake.

47. postedMar 20, 2012 12:19 PM

I made these cupcakes for a birthday/st.patty’s day celebration this year and I got to say they were a hit. I will admit, they were heavier than I thought they would be at first, then looking at the ingredients… it was staring me in the face as to why (cream cheese in particular- mini half cheesecake). They were Delicious though and truly made the Birthday Girl’s day. Ill definitely be making more than the few recipes I have tried since coming across your website.
    Keep Baking, <3

• March 20th, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

Happy to hear!

48. postedMar 29, 2012 3:31 AM

Hi, would these work in a mini muffin pan? If so, how long should I bake them for?
    I have tried quite a few of your recipes and haven’t yet been disappointed!

Thanks :)

49. postedDec 1, 2012 11:57 PM

Absolutely Lovely!! Thank you for sharing…

50. postedDec 9, 2012 1:18 PM

Made these cupcakes today. Found them to be too heavy. What a waste of good Irish Cream!! The frosting I found too sweet so I added some cream cheese and that took away most of the sweetness. But – I will try them one more time but with regular flour next time.

51. postedJan 12, 2013 9:53 AM

@Lynda – I would not recommend using regular flour. I didn’t have cake flour so I substituted with all purpose flour and the result was just as disappointing.
    I’m a novice at baking cupcakes but this is the only recipe in which I haven’t been happy with the end result.
    The cake was thick, dry and bland. IMO, the 3/4 cup irish cream is not enough to make it moist nor is it enough to leave any trace of Bailey’s. Instead of miniature chocolate chips I used regular sized bits and am glad i did, the chocolate helped to add a little bit of flavor and moisture. I also did not modify the frosting since I felt the extra sweetness was necessary to somewhat balance the cake.
    Overall, the end result was more to what I imagine a “Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough” cupcake would be with butter cream infused Bailey’s frosting.

52. postedOct 12, 2013 10:23 AM

The icing came out AMAZING!!! Oh my….and the guys loved LOVED it! I didn’t have all the ingredients for the cake, so I put the icing on plain vanilla mini cupcakes and it really made some scrumptious cupcakes! Thanks for sharing!

53. postedMar 8, 2014 7:55 PM

I featured this butter cream on a Guinness Chocolate Cake with a Salted Caramel Filling in my post today, and it was sensational!! An absolutely delicious frosting!!!

54. postedMar 15, 2014 5:50 AM

hi do I use salted or unsalted butter ?

• March 15th, 2014 @ 8:46 AM

I’d use unsalted for this one.

55. postedMar 20, 2014 9:06 PM

These are so good. I almost skipped the chocolate chips, but I’m glad i didnt they added a just the perfect flavor.

56. postedMar 21, 2014 8:02 AM

I read all of the reviews before trying this recipe. the reviews were very mixed as far as the overall results. I thought, what the heck I think these sound great. so, I whipped these bad boys up and they were awesome. the only comment I have is the baking time you have allowed needed to be adjusted for an additional ten minutes off of the 18 minute factor. I realize all ovens are different but no biggie. any one that is experienced at all in their kitchen will just roll with it and adjust accordingly!
    I will definitely be enjoying these again in the near future!

57. postedAug 27, 2014 12:20 PM

Whip or paddle for the frosting?

• September 1st, 2014 @ 9:05 PM

paddle is fine.

58. postedDec 12, 2014 4:26 AM

best cupcake recipe ever!!!! thank you for sharing