posted in Cake and Cupcakes

Carrot Cake Cheesecake Cake

Here’s your cake for Easter! >> CARROT CAKE CHEESECAKE CAKE

Carrot Cake Cheesecake Cake

It occurred to me the other day that I haven’t given you a fabulous dessert to make for Easter Sunday!  And it also occurred to me that I haven’t shared a new cheesecake cake in quite some time, so… it’s time.  This cake has been in my head for a LONG time.  Every time Easter rolls around, I think… man, I should make a carrot cake cheesecake cake, but then I never do it.  But guess what?  I did it!  My oh-so-fabulous  in-laws were visiting us last weekend, and I baked-up this cake for their last night here.  It was a big hit.  My father-in-law said things like, “This cake should be in your next book– it’s so good!”  I have to admit that I really enjoyed it too.

Carrot Cake Cheescake Cake 1

First things first:  You must always bake your cakes with these BAKE EVEN STRIPS wrapped around the pan.  They make sure that your cakes bake FLAT and not mounded… which is what you want when you are baking a cake.  They are among the best things I have ever purchased!!!

Carrot Cake Cheesecake Cake 2

The process:  one layer of carrot cake, frost a little, then one layer of cheesecake, frost a little,  and then the 2nd layer of carrot cake.  Then frost the whole cake.  I find it easiest to put a large pile of frosting on the top, then use a large ICING SPATULA to spread the frosting over the top and down the sides.

Carrot Cake Cheesecake Cake 3

Just a simple swirl with your icing spatula on top, and that’s it….

Carrot Cake Cheesecake Cake 4

…unless you’d like to add some simple carrot decorations.  I just took a little of the frosting and colored it orange.  Then I used a piping bag with a small tip to drizzle some “carrots” onto the sides.  I used a green gel from the store to make haphazard carrot stems.

Carrot Cake Cheesecake Cake #Recipe

Cut into this baby and check out the inside:  a nice layer of CHEESECAKE in the middle makes the cake 99.8% better than regular carrot cake.

Carrot Cake Cheesecake Cake -

I actually prefer the chill the cake for at least a couple of hours before slicing.  It gives the cake a chance to really stick together and solidify enough to slice nice pieces for serving.   This cake is MAJOR.  “Major” means that it’s awesome, and delicious and a nice, impressive dessert for Easter.  Love it as much as I do 🙂

Yield: 10 to 12 servings

1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups granulated white sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
3 large eggs
3/4 cup plain yogurt (I use nonfat, and it's fine)
3/4 cup canola or vegetable oil

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted lightly to remove any lumps
Two (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Prepare the cheesecake layer: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick spray and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to mix the cream cheese- blend until it is nice and smooth and creamy. Mix in sugar and salt and blend for 2 minutes, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed. Add eggs, one at a time, blending after each addition. Finally, mix in sour cream, whipping cream and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cheesecake for about 40 to 45 minutes. It should be set to the touch and not jiggly. Remove the cheesecake from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for at least an hour. When it has cooled, place the pan into the freezer and let the cheesecake freeze completely. This can be done in several hours- or overnight.

2. Prepare the cake: 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray Two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray, then line them with parchment paper and spray again. Place the carrots into a large mixing bowl. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Add the flour mixture to the carrots and toss until they are well-coated with flour. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, eggs and yogurt. Then (slowly) whisk in the oil. Pour this mixture into the carrot mixture and stir just until combined. Divide between the prepared cake pans and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30 to 40 minutes (it should be firm to the touch in the middle and not wiggly). Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool 15 minutes in the pan. After 15 minutes, turn the cakes out onto racks and allow them to cool completely.

3. Prepare the frosting: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla until it is smooth and creamy (do not overbeat).

4. Assemble the cake: Place one cake layer into the center of a cake plate or platter. Spread it with a small amount of frosting (it will act as a sort of glue to keep the layers from sliding). Remove the cheesecake from the freezer, take off the sides of the pan, and slide a knife under the parchment to remove the cheesecake from the pan. Peel off the parchment and discard! Measure your cheesecake layer against the cake layers. If the cheesecake layer turns out to be a slightly larger round than your cake, move it to a cutting board and gently shave off some of the exterior of the cheesecake to get it to the same size as your cake layers. Place the cheesecake layer on top of the first cake layer. Again, cover the cheesecake with a small amount of frosting. Place the 2nd cake layer on top of the cheesecake. To frost, start by adding a large scoop of frosting onto the top of the cake. Use a long, thin spatula to spread the frosting evenly across the top and then spread it down the sides of the cake too. Continue to spread over the top and spread down the sides until the cake is completely covered. Decorate, as desired. Keep this cake refrigerated.

*This cake might seem like an arduous task, but I started baking it at 2pm, and we were able to have it for dessert after dinner at 8. Though I must admit, it's much easier to make it early in the day (or the day before) and serve it later (especially if you are busy preparing other things for dinner).

*It's important to line the cake pan with parchment paper- it will make the cake come out of the pan easily, with no chunks left behind.
*I highly recommend bake even cake strips- simply wrap them around the cake pan and they allow your cake to rise e-v-e-n-l-y!
*You can bake the cake one day, let it cool completely, wrap it in plastic wrap and then frost it the next day. It should stay nice and moist.

Disclosure:  There are Amazon affiliate links included within this post.

36 Responses to “Carrot Cake Cheesecake Cake”

1. postedApr 14, 2014 3:45 AM

Beautiful Carrot Cake Cheesecake Cake, Lori! I love the piped carrots on the side of the cake and how you incorporated yogurt into the cake batter. Thank you for sharing!

2. postedApr 14, 2014 3:50 AM

I am in love with this. I LOVE carrot cake and cheesecake…so a marriage of the two is the best yet! I love the use of yogurt and those adorable little carrots on the side! Pinned!

3. postedApr 14, 2014 4:50 AM

Carrot cake and cheesecake?! YUM!! You rock my Easter world 🙂

4. postedApr 14, 2014 4:51 AM

you’re the queen of these, lori! this is the best yet, in my humble opinion. 🙂

5. postedApr 14, 2014 5:23 AM

Wow….cheesecake + carrot cake in one?!?!!!! This cake is totally rocking my world!

6. postedApr 14, 2014 5:54 AM

Una vera e propria bontà!!!!!

7. postedApr 14, 2014 6:13 AM

Oh wow! Now this is a carrot cake!! Except way better with that thick layer of cheesecake! Perfect for Easter. Pinned 🙂 I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

8. postedApr 14, 2014 6:43 AM

Oh my goodness — your cheesecake cakes are the best! Wish I had a slice right now!!

9. postedApr 14, 2014 6:46 AM

Fabulous Lori. I am really going to have to get off my butt and make one of your Cake/Cheesecake creations!

10. postedApr 14, 2014 7:36 AM

Carrot cake is a classic and I love that layer of cheesecake! So perfect for Easter!

11. postedApr 14, 2014 8:11 AM

This cheesecake cake looks amazing, Lori! I’ve never combined carrot cake with cheesecake before, but it sounds like the best idea ever!

12. postedApr 14, 2014 8:15 AM

WOW! SOunds amazing and looks gorgeous!

13. postedApr 14, 2014 9:25 AM

Love this cake, Lori! Cheesecake cakes are my favorite!

14. postedApr 14, 2014 9:48 AM
    Terri A

This is like heaven on a plate.

15. postedApr 14, 2014 9:50 AM

I absolutely adore your cheesecake cakes, Lori! This one is gorgeous and sounds so delicious! Sharing!

16. postedApr 14, 2014 10:59 AM

I have a few people in my life that would very much enjoy cheesecake sandwiched between cake. This is lovely and your are absolutely right. Perfect for Easter.

17. postedApr 14, 2014 11:49 AM

I love this cake! I mean, what’s not to love! It’s a 2-for-1kind of recipe AND all that frosting. Love the Anthro plate too. And those little carrots you made, wow, such steady hands and so crafy! I would love a big piece of this. Totally my kind of post! pinned

18. postedApr 14, 2014 12:46 PM
    Brenda Ballard Gunn

I love your recipes,they are all so easy to prepare,especially your cakes and pies,,I would like to keep getting there recipes,my email address is listed above,

• April 14th, 2014 @ 9:22 PM

Hi Brenda- thank you! You can subscribe to receive emails with new recipe posts by filling out the subscribe form in the right sidebar.

19. postedApr 14, 2014 3:18 PM
    Crystal | Apples & Sparkle

Wow! This is a GREAT idea. Carrot cake is where I had my first taste of cream cheese frosting as a little girl, which is like the best part of carrot cake, this is like elevating that flavor component to the maximum! : )

20. postedApr 14, 2014 4:14 PM
    Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg

Oh my this sounds incredible. Cheesecake and carrot cake, yes!

21. postedApr 14, 2014 5:10 PM

How have I never had a cheesecake cake!! I am missing out big time! Looks awesome!

22. postedApr 14, 2014 6:24 PM

Wow Lori, this sounds fantastic and sure to brighten up any Easter table with all that yumminess and your fun little carrots.
    I’m making a carrot dessert tomorrow. I hope my carrots look half as pretty as yours.

23. postedApr 14, 2014 8:17 PM

I don’t have those strips but my secret is to make sure you only let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan, and then flip them onto a cooling rack. Somehow letting them cool longer in the pan creates domed tops.

Anyways. WOWZA to this cake!!! I am so enamored!

24. postedApr 14, 2014 8:46 PM

I think I just died and went to cheesecake/carrot cake heaven.

25. postedApr 14, 2014 8:55 PM

Your cheesecake looks so good!! Perfection!

26. postedApr 15, 2014 6:41 AM

This recipe…swoon!! Just when I thought carrot cake couldn’t get any better….

27. postedApr 15, 2014 2:30 PM

I would definitely catch myself going back for 10ths on this cake! Especially if there were leftovers in the fridge I would just keep a fork there to satisfy all my wants and needs of this cake!! I bet it was so flavorful!!

28. postedApr 16, 2014 8:21 AM

Oh my goodness! Carrot cake and cheesecake…you are not helping my diet!

29. postedApr 16, 2014 4:19 PM

This looks so amazing Lori! Love and that carrot cake looks so moist!

30. postedApr 16, 2014 8:01 PM

I swear by those Bake Even Strips, too. They totally make perfect cakes every time!!

31. postedApr 17, 2014 4:59 AM

When the cheesecake goes in the roasting pan and then in the oven- its in a water bath right? Can’t wait to try this. Seems like the best of both worlds.

• April 18th, 2014 @ 9:15 AM

Actually, in this recipe there is no need to use the roasting pan or a water bath (edited). If the cheesecake cracks, it’s okay since it’s hidden in the middle of the cake!

32. postedApr 22, 2014 7:29 PM

Wow. My daughter’s two favorite cakes combined. Yes I will have to try this. Thank you!

33. postedApr 24, 2014 5:54 AM

Came over from Will Cook For Smiles. This carrot cake looks so yummy! I think I’ll have to make it for no special reason just to eat it!

34. postedMay 8, 2014 12:06 PM

Oh man. I have been pondering on what type of cake I want for my birthday this year and then I happened to check your blog and saw this post. Two of my favorite things together. I haven’t tried any of your cheesecake cakes yet but this just might be the one that gets me to. I do have a question though. Would it be possible to half the recipe? If so, what would you suggest for baking the cake? I have a spring form pan but only one of each size. Would it be better to just bake the cake in one layer and then cut it in half or just make two smaller cakes?