Gingered Carrot Cake
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 30 min
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups finely shredded carrot
4 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
3/4 cup mixed dried fruit bits
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (or 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger)
purchased candied flowers or sugared edible flowers
Two 3-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 tablespoon apricot brandy (or orange juice)
4 to 5 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9 x 1 1/2-inch round baking pans. Set aside.
2. Prepare cake: In large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the carrot, eggs, oil, dried fruit, and ginger. Stir the the egg mixture into flour mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
5. Prepare frosting: In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, butter and brandy or orange juice. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well mixed. Gradually beat in 2 cups of powdered sugar. Gradually beat in an additional 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cups of powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange zest.
6. Frost the top of one cake layer with some of the Cream Cheese Frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost the top and sides with the remaining frosting. If desired, garnish individual servings with candied flowers.
7. Cover loosely and store cake or any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
*The 9-inch round baking pans need to be at least 1 1/2 inches deep or the batter could flow over the sides during baking! If your round pans aren't deep enough, use one greased and floured 13x9x2-inch baking pan and bake 40 minutes.
Source: RecipeGirl.com (via BHG Holiday Baking)