Here’s an easy Asian-style Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken recipe:
I made this easy dinner recipe for our Sunday night meal yesterday, and it was well-received and gobbled up by all. We especially loved the sticky lemon sauce that generously coats the chicken. This will definitely be a repeat dinner recipe at my house!
This recipe comes from The Asian Slow Cooker: Exotic Favorites for Your Crockpot by Kelly Kwok (she writes the Life Made Sweeter blog). Why grab Asian takeout when you can make a better, healthier version at home easy in your slow cooker?! Kelly has created quite the fabulous collection of recipes in her first book. I’m pretty much obsessed with this cookbook because using my slow cooker is a big part of my busy life!! There is also a chapter for One-Pot or skillet meals that are quick-to-make too.
Here are some recipes I’ve bookmarked to make: Beef and Broccoli, Chicken Lo Mein, General Tso’s Chicken, Kung Pao Chicken, Orange Beef, Chinese Five-Spice Pork Tenderloin, Sweet Chili Chicken Drumsticks, Classic Fried Rice, Spicy Peanut Noodles, Honey Garlic Chicken Sliders, Dan Dan Noodles, Chinese Hot and Sour Soup, Thai Butternut Squash Curry Soup and Black Sesame Brownies. Everything looks so good!
Since I’m asked quite often what my favorite type of slow cooker is, it’s this one: Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker- 6 quart. I’ve had this one for quite a few years now, and it has always worked great. I love that it has a removable insert that is easy to clean. And I love that you can program it to do its thing… and when it’s done cooking, it simply turns to a “warm” setting. This is great if you are not able to be home when it’s done cooking- it just keeps your meal warm for you until you get home.
I hope you try and enjoy this easy dinner recipe. Buy the book if you’re interested in adding to your slow cooker cookbook collection (it’s a good one). And might I suggest a gift idea? I’m thinking the slow cooker, cookbook and some chopsticks would make a super cute gift.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken
- 1 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into bite-sizes cubes
- 2 teaspoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- cooked rice, for serving
- sesame seeds and sliced green onion for garnish, optional
- In a large zip-top bag, toss together 1 cup cornstarch, salt and pepper . Add the chicken to the bag, and give it a little shake until lightly coated. Remove the chicken from the bag and discard the cornstarch mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken, about 2 to 3 minutes on both sides, then transfer to the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, broth, honey, vinegar, lemon juice, zest, sesame oil, garlic and ginger and pour over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- About 30 minutes prior to serving, whisk together 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch with water in a small bowl and stir into the slow cooker. Turn the heat to high and allow the sauce to cook and thicken up for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve over hot rice, and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions if desired.
Here are a few more slow cooker recipes you might enjoy:
- Slow Cooker Ribs by Real Food by Dad
- Slow Cooker Korean Beef by RecipeGirl
- Slow Cooker Turkey Lasagna by A Zesty Bite
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork by RecipeGirl
Disclosure: There are Amazon affiliate links included within this post.