My new favorite lasagna recipe: Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna
My family loved this unique take on lasagna – chicken, ham and various cheeses, along with a white sauce. It’s a fantastic dinner recipe!
This recipe comes from a new cookbook: Our Sweet Basil Kitchen by Cade and Carrian Cheney. I’ve followed their blog for many years, and they really know how to do great recipes! I’m excited for their first book.
Their book is full of family-friendly recipes. Here are a few recipes that I’ve bookmarked to make: Blackberry Crisp Baked Oatmeal, Peach Cobbler Baked French Toast, Strawberry- Almond Granola, Pe Pasta Salad, Mango Chicken Salad, Creamed Corn, Sweet Potato Rolls, Easy Sausage Alfredo, Coconut Chicken Curry, Smoky Sloppy Joes, Grilled Avocado Tacos, Dulce de Leche Banana Cream Pie, Deep Fried Peaches and Key Lime Bars.
My son made a recipe from the book and shared it on his RecipeBoy blog: Perfect Waffles. They truly are perfect!
This baked lasagna turns out a crispy cheese layer on top, with a creamy, cheesy interior. It’s not your typical lasagna recipe for sure.
I love that you can cut slices that aren’t mushy and falling apart. Neat slices make neat plating.
This might be your family’s new favorite dinner recipe. It’s hearty with all of that added chicken and ham, and there isn’t anything weird in it that the kids might complain about. Enjoy!
Yield: Serves 8 to 10
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/3 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- One 9-ounce box oven-ready lasagna noodles (12 noodles)
- 3 cups cooked, chopped chicken
- 2 cups cooked, chopped ham
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick spray.
- Melt 5 tablespoons butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Whisk in the flour and cook 1 to 2 minutes until nutty and fragrant but not brown. Whisk in the cream and milk. Add the salt, bay leaf, and nutmeg and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the Romano cheese and 1/3 cup of the Swiss cheese, and cook an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once melted, add the bread crumbs and stir occasionally until lightly golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
- To assemble the lasagna: Spoon 1/3 cup of the sauce over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Use 4 lasagna noodles to cover the bottom of the dish. Spoon 2/3 cup sauce on top of the noodles, followed by half of the chicken and ham, 1/2 cup Swiss cheese and a sprinkle of the Romano. Repeat with another set of 4 noodles, 2/3 cup sauce, the rest of the chicken and ham, 1/2 cup Swiss and another sprinkle of Romano. Finish by layering 4 more noodles, the rest of the sauce and the remaining cheese, this time including the mozzarella.
- Cover the pan with a sheet of foil that has been sprayed with nonstick spray, and bake 20 minutes. Remove the foil, top with buttered bread crumbs, and bake an additional 20 minutes, until the cheese is gooey and noodles are soft. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Here are a few more lasagna recipes you might enjoy:
- Mexican Lasagna by Cooking Classy
- Classic Light Lasagna by RecipeGirl
- Pizza Lasagna by Real Housemoms
- Easy Skillet Lasagna by RecipeGirl
Disclosure: This post contains an Amazon affiliate link for the purchase of the cookbook mentioned.