Comfort food for a Sunday dinner: Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken and Beans
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken and Beans
One of the first crockpot recipes I found that is worth repeating...
- 1 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed
- One 16-ounce jar mild or medium salsa
- 2 Tablespoons chopped canned chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2-pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper (seeds and ribs removed), chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- In a 5 to 6 quart slowcooker, stir together beans, salsa, chiles, flour and 1 cup water. Season chicken with salt and pepper; arrange on top of bean mixture. Scatter onion and bell pepper on top of chicken.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from stew; shred into large pieces, and return to stew.
- Serve over brown rice, or inside flour tortillas to make tacos (not included in the nutritional information below. Garnish with cilantro and additional desired toppings.
- You may also use 1 to 2 cans of pinto beans, rinsed in place of the dried beans. Leave out the water in the recipe if you use canned beans. Don't add canned beans until the last hour of cooking.
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten free, use a GF flour substitute or another thickening option instead of the all-purpose flour.
- Nutritional Information per serving without rice or tortillas (Serving size: 1/4th of the recipe) Calories 278, Fat 3.3g, Saturated Fat 1.5g, Sugar 7.5g, Fiber 11g, Protein 17g, Cholesterol 19mg, Carbohydrates 47g
- Weight Watchers POINTS per serving: Freestyle SmartPoints: 4, (ZERO points if you use chicken breasts), SmartPoints: 9, Points Plus Program: 7, Old Points Program: 6.5
SOURCE: RecipeGirl.com (Adapted from Everyday Food )