This Acai Berry Bowl is a tasty tropical vacation you can enjoy any day of the week!
Acai (pronouced ah-sigh-ee) bowls are popular up and down the California coast. Just like poke bowls, they’re spreading like wildfire throughout the country. And for good reason– because they’re so refreshing and delicious.
It can be enjoyed for breakfast or snack, yet it’s sweet enough to also be called dessert. Best of all, acai bowls are packed with antioxidants. Acai berries come from the rainforests of South America. Since their introduction to the US, they’ve been touted as a superfood with all sorts of health benefits.
Frozen acai packets are available at supermarkets and big box stores. They’re usually placed with the frozen fruits and vegetables. You can also find a powdered version at health food stores. When frozen acai puree is blended with liquid, it turns into a smooth and creamy mixture with a texture similar to sorbet.
I love assembling acai bowls. It’s part playing with your food and part making edible art. I like to add a layer of granola at the bottom of the bowl. It adds a nice surprise and provides much needed textural variety.
As you can see from the photo above, this mixture is quite thick. It’s a perfect and stable canvas for displaying your toppings. I stick to toppings that I normally have on hand: granola and fresh fruits. I also like to add drizzle of honey for sweetness. If you’re feeling adventurous, I highly recommend adding more exotic toppings like bee pollen, goji berries, and hemp seeds.
All you need is a blender and voilà, you’ve got a homemade acai berry bowl (for much less than what it would cost to get one at a juice/smoothie shop)! It’s such a pretty way to start the day. It’s also the kind of breakfast that doesn’t weigh you down but gives you plenty of engery to kick off the morning.
Acai Berry Bowl
Prep Time:5 minutes
- 3.5 oz (100 g) packet of frozen acai puree*
- 1 cup frozen assorted berries (strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, or milk substitute of choice
- fresh fruits (berries, kiwi, banana)
- Add acai, frozen berries, and almond milk into a blender. Process until mixture is smooth. Mixture will be much thicker than a standard smoothie. It will have the consistency of frozen yogurt.
- Transfer acai mixture into serving bowl. Top with fruit, granola, and a drizzle of honey. Enjoy immediately.
- Acai puree is often sold in individually frozen packets. They're available in the freezer section with the frozen fruits and vegetables.