Apple Cobbler is the absolutely best dessert to make when you have a bounty of delicious, fresh apples!
Fall is prime time for apple picking! If you happen to live in an area where you can experience apple picking, then you should totally do it. It’s such a neat thing to do- especially if you have kids. Go up to the mountains where they offer this fun task, grab a basket, and go pick some apples! If you don’t have apple picking near you, apples are everywhere so go and buy some apples and make apple cobbler.
How to make Apple Cobbler:
The Granny Smith (tart) variety is the best one to use for making apple cobbler. You’ll need three pounds of apples (about 5 large). Peel and core your apples. Slice the apples into quarter-inch slices. In a large bowl, toss the apples with brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and salt. Set the spiced apples aside and let them sit for about an hour. A syrupy liquid will begin to form in the bottom of the bowl.
Pour the filling into a 9×13-inch casserole dish. Be sure to scrape all of the syrupy liquid into the dish too.
Make the topping. Combine melted butter, milk and vanilla extract. Whisk in flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Pour the topping onto the apples in the pan.
Bake the apple cobbler for 45 to 55 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the cakey cobbler portion on top should come out clean.
Spoon out individual servings. Be sure to dig all the way to the bottom of the cobbler to scoop out that cinnamon syrup too.
Serve the apple cobbler warm, and top it with vanilla ice cream. This is the best way to eat it! The ice cream will melt and mix with the warm apple dessert, and it all tastes so incredibly good.
- 3 pounds Granny Smith apples (10 cups sliced)
- 1 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1¼ cups granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
MAKE THE FILLING:
- Wash, peel, and core the apples. Slice them into ¼-inch thick slices. Add the sliced apple, brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt to a large bowl. Use your hands to gently combine everything so the apples are well-coated. Let the apples sit at room temperature until they form a syrupy liquid in the bottom of the bowl, about 1 hour.
MAKE THE TOPPING:
- Whisk together the butter, milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk in the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until combined.
ASSEMBLE AND BAKE THE COBBLER:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the inside of a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Pour the filling (including the syrupy liquid at the bottom of the bowl) into the prepared baking dish. Pour the topping onto the apple filling.
- Bake until the top is golden, and a toothpick inserted into the cake portion comes out clean, about 45 to 55 minutes. Serve warm, topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired.