Asparagus and Carrots with Maple Butter Sauce is a simple and delicious side dish recipe that is sure to impress.
Delicious Side Dish Recipe:
I don’t know about you, but my frustrations in making dinner often have to do with what side dishes to serve (especially during the holidays!) You can only cook potatoes, veggies and rice so many ways. And my family gets tired of me making the same old things. So this Asparagus and Carrots with Maple Butter Sauce recipe is a keeper. The maple butter sauce adds just enough pizzazz to the veggies to make them exciting to eat!
Think of this recipe when you are making Easter or Thanksgiving dinner. And it’s a good one for entertaining with friends too. If you’re making it home just for your smaller family for a weeknight meal, cut the recipe in half because the recipe as written is designed to make 10 servings.
- carrots with fronds on top
- maple syrup
- cider vinegar
- chili powder
How to make Asparagus and Carrots with Maple Butter:
This is a very simple recipe to make. First, trim and peel the carrots. Leave the fronds on, basically because that makes them look fancy. If you don’t care about fronds, you can just buy regular carrots and cut off the tops. Boil the carrots until they’re crisp-tender. Then drain them.
The sauce is a simple mix of melted butter, maple syrup, cider vinegar, chili powder and salt. It’s heated together in a small saucepan.
Add the partially cooked carrots to a skillet with trimmed asparagus.
How to trim asparagus:
The woody, tough ends of asparagus should be cut off before cooking. Hold the end of the asparagus between your fingers and bend it. The asparagus will snap naturally where the woody part meets the good part. Do this for each one, and you’ll have perfectly trimmed asparagus!
Combine the asparagus and carrots with maple butter in the skillet. Bring the maple butter to a simmer, and simmer until the asparagus are crisp-tender.
Move the asparagus and carrots to a platter. Spoon the maple butter sauce on top.
And there’s your simple, yet impressive, recipe for Asparagus and Carrots with Maple Butter ready to serve. Enjoy!
Asparagus and Carrots with Maple Butter Sauce
- 2 pounds carrots, with fronds attached
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Trim and peel the carrots, but keep about ½-inch of the frond stems attached to the whole carrot. Place in large sauté pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and let simmer for 8 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the maple syrup. Stir in the vinegar, chili powder and salt.
- Add the trimmed asparagus to the pan with the carrots. Pour the maple butter over the carrots and asparagus; cover. Bring to a low simmer and cook until the asparagus are crisp-tender.
- Remove the carrots and asparagus from the pan with a slotted spoon and place on a platter. Drizzle a small amount of the sauce on top.