This recipe for Steamed Asparagus with Almond Butter is a delicious side dish recipe!
This recipe showcases beautiful fresh asparagus tossed with a lemon- shallot butter and toasted almonds. More often than not, when I make asparagus… I just steam them a bit and then serve them with some mayonnaise. That’s the way my family likes to eat asparagus. It’s nice to change things up a little bit once in a while and try new things. I’m glad I did because this recipe for Steamed Asparagus with Almond Butter is a new favorite.
How to make Steamed Asparagus with Almond Butter:
I know you’re probably thinking that you’re going to use actual jarred almond butter in this recipe. NOPE! No almond butter is used in the recipe. Instead, it’s a melted butter mixture that has toasted almonds in it.
In a skillet, shallots and garlic are sautéed in butter. Then you’ll add more butter, parsley, lemon juice and lemon zest to the pan. Sliced almonds are added in and cooked until toasted. That makes the almond butter that you’ll be tossing with the asparagus.
How to steam asparagus:
Use a steamer pot to steam your asparagus. Bring about an inch of water to boil in the lower pot of your steamer set. Lay the asparagus in the upper steamer insert. Put the lid on and steam the asparagus 4 to 5 minutes, until crisp tender.
The steamed asparagus are then added to the skillet and tossed with the prepared almond butter. And it’s ready to serve.
I love the crunch of the almonds with the steamed asparagus in this dish. The lemon is a nice touch to add to the butter. Enjoy!
Here are a few more vegetable side dish recipes you might like to try:
- Garlic Green Beans with Prosciutto
- Roasted Baby Beets
- Broccoli Gratin
- Green Beans with Bacon
- Chili Lime Roasted Cauliflower
- Creamed Corn
- Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- Chipotle Glazed Vegetable Kabobs
Steamed Asparagus with Almond Butter
- 2 pounds thin asparagus, tough ends trimmed off
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) salted butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Steam the asparagus until crisp-tender.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a heavy large skillet over low heat. Add the shallots and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter, parsley, lemon juice and lemon zest to the shallot mixture and heat over medium to melt the butter.
- Add the almonds and cook until the butter browns, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add the steamed asparagus and spoon the sauce over the asparagus until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.