This recipe for Steamed Asparagus with Almond Butter showcases beautiful fresh asparagus tossed with a lemon- shallot butter and toasted almonds.
Steamed Asparagus with Almond Butter
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:15 minutes
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy small skillet over low heat. Add shallots and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Pour into medium bowl.
- Add remaining 5 tablespoons butter, parsley, lemon juice and lemon peel to shallot mixture and whisk to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Steam asparagus until crisp-tender. (all steps so far can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover butter mixture and asparagus separately and chill.)
- When ready to serve, place butter mixture in heavy large skillet over medium-heat. Add almonds and cool until butter browns, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add asparagus and stir until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide among plates and serve.