Garlic Green Beans with Prosciutto is a fantastic green beans side dish recipe.
Summer is the best time to find good green beans. They’ll be fresh and green and flavorful. It’s the best time to make these Garlic Green Beans! I don’t know about you, but I often just steam my green beans, add a little butter and call it our vegetable side dish for dinner. But when you take the time to add a few ingredients to jazz them up a little bit, they’re so much better! Adding prosciutto gives them some great flavor, and toasted almonds gives them a crunchy element.
How to make Garlic Green Beans with Prosciutto:
The first thing you’ll do is steam the green beans. A note about the green beans: you can usually buy green beans in a bag that have already been trimmed. If you buy handfuls of green beans instead, just wash them and trim the ends.
In a separate skillet, you’ll heat olive oil. Then you’ll add garlic, red bell pepper, toasted almonds, prosciutto, dried basil and a little splash of vermouth or white wine. This mixture is then combined with the steamed green beans. Add a little salt and pepper, and they’re ready to serve.
How to toast almonds:
The easiest way to toast almonds is to pan fry them. Just heat a small skillet over medium heat, add the almonds and move them around with a wooden spoon until they are toasted. Don’t leave them alone since they can burn easily. If you move them around with your wooden spoon while heating, that will allow them to be toasted evenly, and they won’t burn. Remove them to a paper towel or a cutting board to cool.
Try substituting chopped pancetta for the prosciutto. Sliced almonds may be used in place of slivered almonds. And white wine can be substituted for the dry vermouth.
Grab some fresh green beans when they’re looking good at the store, and try this new Garlic Green Beans side dish recipe. Enjoy!
Here are a few more green bean recipes you might like to try:
- Green Beans with Bacon
- Green Beans with Mushrooms and Shallots
- Creamy Baked Green Beans
- Spicy Pickled Green Beans
- Green Bean Almondine
- Roasted Green Beans with Lemon, Pine Nuts and Parmigiano
- Favorite Chinese Green Beans
- Oven Roasted Green Beans
Garlic Green Beans with Prosciutto
- 12 ounces green beans, washed and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup diced prosciutto
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- one splash dry vermouth (can sub white wine)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Steam the beans in a pot on the stove to a crisp texture- do not overcook. Drain and then return the beans to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-low heat. Add the garlic and bell pepper and saute for 1 minute or until garlic releases its aroma. Add the almonds, prosciutto, basil and a splash of vermouth (or wine), stirring lightly.
- Add the mixture to the beans and toss lightly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
- You can usually find bags of green beans or Haricot Verts at Costco or your local grocery store (already trimmed).
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, just be sure to use prosciutto that does not have any added gluten.