Here’s a very popular, delicious recipe: Bacon and Corn Griddle Cakes. These are savory pancakes served with warm maple syrup. Click below to watch a short video showing you how to make them, then scroll to the bottom of this post to print out the complete recipe.
We’re a banana-pancake kind of family. Rarely does a regular-old pancake grace a plate in the RecipeGirl house. Bananas are pretty much always sliced up and cooked right on in there with the batter. It’s the way we do our pancakes around here, plain and simple.
I was feeling a little wild and crazy last weekend though, and surprised my husband with a new kind of pancake- one where bananas were nowhere to be found- these Bacon and Corn Griddle Cakes.
What are Bacon and Corn Griddle Cakes?
These savory pancakes are stuffed with corn, crumbled bacon, onions, chives and Monterey Jack cheese. My husband eyed me suspiciously as I was preparing this deeply unusual breakfast treat. I told him to go back to reading the paper and pour himself a cup of coffee.
The truth is… I wasn’t exactly how these would go over either. The batter is thick, and it produces sturdy, yet fluffy little cakes that are perfect for stacking.
As a true bacon lover does, I always save some extra crispy bacon to serve on top.
And then I cover it all with a massive downpour of warm maple syrup.
I’ll never forget when we first sampled these. Wow. These are really different. And by different, I mean they are really very good. They don’t taste quite the same as pancakes, since there is a savory element to it all. So I thought it would be more appropriate to call them “griddle cakes.” The cakes have a fluffy interior, and those chunks of bacon and corn and melted cheese combined with the maple syrup are a surprisingly lovely treat.
It’s the sort of recipe that I’d be delighted to see on a breakfast menu at a restaurant, since I’m always up for trying new things. And the bacon… yep, bacon is a must. Make extra and be generous with it, because a little bit of bacon (or a lot) always makes everything taste incredible as far as I’m concerned. #BaconLoversUnite
So what do you think… are you up for sampling some Griddle Cakes?
If you’re looking for more unique breakfast recipes, you might like to try:
- Avocado Toast- 3 Ways
- Quiche with White Wine and Shallots
- Overnight Breakfast Enchiladas
- Breakfast Popsicles
- Baked Italian Egg Pastries
- Breakfast Tacos
Bacon and Corn Griddle Cakes
This stack of savory pancakes served with warm maple syrup is a delicious breakfast treat.
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup frozen, canned or fresh corn
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- warm maple syrup, for serving
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon pieces until they begin to brown. Add the onion and continue to cook until the bacon is crisp and the onion is softened. Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of the bacon mixture for topping the griddle cakes upon serving- and set it aside.
- While the bacon is cooking, combine the flour, chives, baking powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in the milk, egg and oil, just until moistened. Stir in the bacon mixture, corn and cheese. The mixture will be thick. If you'd like the griddle cakes to be slightly thinner than those pictured, add a little more milk to thin out the batter.
- Heat and grease a griddle or large skillet. Pour a heaping 1/4-cup of the batter onto the griddle and cook until it is golden brown- 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve stacks of griddle cakes topped with a sprinkle of the reserved bacon/onion and a good dose of warm maple syrup.
- Nutritional information does not include added maple syrup.