Bacon Wrapped Apple and Sausage Bundles are the best little bacon-lover appetizers for fall!
Bacon wrapped appetizers are always, always a good idea. Everyone loves bacon, right? It’s just one of those things that happens to make food taste so good. These little appetizers are the perfect bites to add to a cocktail or holiday party. And they’re also good for munching on a football-watching Sunday afternoon. Give them a try!
For the marinade:
- apple juice or apple cider
- creamy peanut butter
- soy sauce
- ground cinnamon
- ground ginger
For the bundles:
- 4 whole pre-cooked smoked sausages
- 2 medium apples
- half-pound of bacon
How to make Bacon Wrapped Apple and Sausage Bundles:
Blend the marinade ingredients together in a blender. Slice the sausage and marinate the sausage in the apple-peanut butter marinade for about 4 hours. Then drain the sausages from the marinade (but keep the marinade).
To assemble these bundles, wrap a piece of bacon around a piece of sausage and a slice of apple, and secure with a toothpick. Then dip the wrapped appetizer into the marinade and place on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
It’s best if the appetizers are placed onto a rack for broiling for two reasons.
- The bacon grease has a chance to drip onto the foil below the rack.
- The bacon has a chance to get crispy all around because the heat can get to the bottom of the appetizer because it’s on a rack.
The result is a crispy, bacon-wrapped appetizer that you and your guests are sure to enjoy! The apple and sausage are the perfect pairing with bacon. And the marinade adds additional flavors that are welcome with this combination too.
If you like these bacon wrapped apple and sausage bundles, then you’re probably going to like my bacon wrapped tater tots and bacon wrapped water chestnuts too. And if you’re a bacon lover in general, bacon guacamole might be one to try!
Bacon Wrapped Apple and Sausage Bundles
- ½ cup apple juice or apple cider
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Four 3-ounce fully cooked smoked sausages
- 2 medium apples (McIntosh or Golden Delicious)
- 8 ounces bacon
PREPARE THE MARINADE:
- In a blender, combine the apple juice, peanut butter, soy sauce, cinnamon, and ginger and blend until smooth. Pour into a medium-sized bowl.
- Cut the sausages into ¾ to 1-inch pieces; add to the marinade, cover, and refrigerate. Marinate for about 4 hours.
ASSEMBLE THE BUNDLES:
- Preheat the oven broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil, and place a rack on top of the foil.
- Core the apples and cut them into pieces that will fit nicely alongside the sausage. (The slices should not be too thin, however)
- Drain the sausage pieces, reserving the marinade.
- Cut the bacon strips in half crosswise. Make bundles by wrapping a strip of bacon around a slice of apple and a piece of sausage, secure with wooden toothpicks. Drop each bundle into the bowl to coat with the marinade.
- Place the bacon bundles on the prepared pan. Place the pan in the oven and broil 4-inches from the heat. Broil them approximately 3 to 5 minutes per side, watching them carefully and turning them until the bacon is uniformly cooked and crispy.
- This appetizer can be made gluten-free. Just make sure all of your ingredients are gluten-free.