Blueberry Refrigerator Jam

This post may contain affiliate links.

Today, I made some rather fabulous Blueberry Refrigerator Jam.

Blueberry Refrigerator Jam in a jar with a spoonful of jam sitting on top. English muffin with jam on a plate next to it.

What kind of jam person are you?  Are you apricot?  Seedless raspberry?  Maybe classic strawberry?  Or are you some other kind of weird jam that we don’t know about?  My absolute favorite jam in the whole wide world is one that they don’t typically sell in the market:  peach.  So it would make sense that this post would be about peach jam, right?  Well, no.  But peach jam will definitely be on my radar.  Blueberry Refrigerator Jam is where it’s at today.

Canning Jam vs. Refrigerator Jam:

I’m not a big canning person.  I don’t own canning equipment, and it’s not really my kind of thing.  But I enjoy making things in jars and keeping them in the fridge for an amount of time long enough to make sure my family has time to consume them.  Refrigerator jam isn’t meant to can. It’s meant to eat within a couple of weeks.  That’s what we’ve got here with this jam.

cover of the Celebrate Every Day cookbook
This recipe comes from the cookbook:  Celebrate Every Day- Recipes for Making the Most of Special Moments with Your Family by Jaime Richardson. I love this book.  My son and I took a peek at it together, and we put sticky notes on a whole bunch of things that we wanted to try together… like Fried Chicken Strips, Homemade Snow Caps, Fresh Peach French Toast Bread Pudding, Homemade Cream Soda and Maple- Vanilla Crunch Granola.  It’s adult food that kids like too.

Blueberries in a white dish sitting on a wooden surface

How to make Blueberry Refrigerator Jam:

The recipe couldn’t be simpler.  It begins with fresh blueberries, of course.  It’s a good one to make when you can find blueberries for next-to-nothing cost-wise at your local market or farmer’s market. In a pinch, you can substitute frozen blueberries.

Blueberries being mashed in a saucepan on the stove

Some of the blueberries are added to a saucepan and smashed.

Blueberries, lemon zest and sugar in a saucepan on the stove waiting to be cooked into jam.

The rest of the ingredients are added in- more blueberries, lemon zest/juice, and sugar.

Blueberries in a pot on the stove with a wooden spoon. Ready to be cooked into jam.

The ingredients are stirred together.

Blueberry Jam bubbling in a pot on the stove

And then the mixture is brought to a boil.  It boils like that for about 20 minutes.

overhead shot of blueberry jam in a jar with the lid displayed too, The lid has a purple label. english muffin with spoon of jam on it on a plate.

After 20 minutes on the stove, it magically turns into homemade jam.

overhead shot of Homemade Blueberry Refrigerator Jam in a jar with a spoonful of jam sitting on top. english muffin with jam on a plate alongside

You don’t even have to get all fancy and put it in jars unless you want to.  Honestly, you could scrape it into a plastic container and place it in your refrigerator and you’ll enjoy it just as much.  In general, the jam will fill up two 10-ounce jars. Mine fit nicely in three smaller jars that I had lying around.  I kept one for my family to sample on English muffins (YUM!), and I saved two to give as take-home gifts for guests who were coming to a dinner party of ours.  This is delicious jam!

jar of blueberry jam open with a spoon inside and jam on the spoon sitting on the top

Here are a few more jam recipes you might like to try:

Print Pin
Save Recipe

Blueberry Refrigerator Jam

Perfect, easy jam recipe to keep in the refrigerator!
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Cooling Time: 2 hours
Servings 20 servings (two 10-ounce jars)
Calories 80kcal
Course Condiments
Cuisine American
Keyword blueberry, jam, refrigerator jam

Ingredients

• 5 cups fresh blueberries
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • cups granulated white sugar

Instructions

• Place a small ceramic plate in the freezer. Place 2 cups of blueberries in a high-sided saucepan, and mash with a potato masher. Add the remaining blueberries along with the rest of the ingredients. Set the saucepan over medium-high heat, and bring mixture to a boil.
  • Once the blueberries start boiling vigorously enough that the bubbles don't dissipate when you stir, set the timer for 12 minutes and continue boiling the berries at the same rate, stirring frequently.
  • When the jam begins to thicken, pull the plate from the freezer and place a small amount of the jam on the plate. Run your finger through the jam, and if it jells and seems thick, remove the pan from the heat. If the jam is not thick enough, place the plate back into the freezer, and continue to cook the jam for a minute or two longer. Test again. Repeat until the jam is thickened (I usually have to cook mine for an additional 10 minutes to get it to the right consistency).
  • Divide the jam into clean glass jars. Allow to cool for about 2 hours, then top with lids. When the jam cools to room temperature, store in the refrigerator and enjoy within 2 weeks.

Notes

• The original author of this recipe shared that getting jam to jell can be a funny business. If for some reason your jam doesn't thicken, remove it from heat and tell everyone it's blueberry sauce. For the record: mine turns out just perfect.

Nutrition

Serving: 1serving | Calories: 80kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 32mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 20IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 1mg
More Recipes Using Blueberries...
Lori Lange of Recipe Girl

Meet The Author: Lori Lange

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments

• Wendy wrote:

I used frozen blueberries when I made it and didn’t thaw them beforehand. Turned out just fine.

• Wendy wrote:

Just made this last night and it turned out perfect! You can feel when stirring that it is starting to thicken. Super easy to make and very simple, as these items are always on hand. Thanks for the recipe.

• Julie wrote:

Can you freeze this?

• Lori Lange wrote:

I haven’t tried, but I would imagine it would be okay!

• Cody Jordan wrote:

Okay, I just made this and am waiting for it to cool before putting the lids on. The sampling tasted great!! I do have two pieces of advice. Don’t wear a light colored shirt when the blueberries are boiling!! Next, have a wet washcloth handy when making this! Can’t wait to try the finished product.

• Cody Jordan wrote:

I was wondering if I could use frozen blueberries (properly thawed) for this recipe?? It looks great, and I’m excited to try!!

• Lori Lange wrote:

Probably, but I haven’t tried it so I’m not sure.

• Marsha Musselman wrote:

I tried making this recently from something someone wrote after watching a TV program. They must have missed some of the instruction, or I didn’t see it when I originally read it for they didn’t say how long to boil it. I boiled mine, but not for very long. I have raspberry sauce. I’m still eating it on toast I just have to watch that it doesn’t roll off the side of the bread.

• Angela wrote:

I tried this last night for the 1st time. This was the easiest and best tasting jam I have ever had.

Thank you for the recipe.

Just curious, has anyone tried this with other fruits? I’m hooked and can’t stop thinking of the endless possibilities and combos… 🙂

• Lori Lange wrote:

I haven’t. but I’m intrigued enough to try!

• Lisa Cornely wrote:

What a great recipe. I love jams and jellies, but canning scares me (I worry about bacteria and not doing it properly). This recipe was so simple to make and tastes delicious. I would like to try other refrigerator jams. I really want that cookbook also.

• Deana Charles wrote:

First off, I wanna say that your camera is great and those images are so vibrant! Secondly, this looks amazing. I have to try this out. I recently got a new True T-49 refrigerator and this thing is a beast. Stocking it with tons of refrigerator recipes. Thanks for posting.

• shelburn wrote:

Your site is addictive!!!!! Just read this week’s recupe for blueberry jam and had to try it! Made the pickles last week, but used Splenda instead of sugar.
    Used a lesser amount and still my friends found them too sweet. Will try them again when I get too many cucumbers. I reduced the salt and will try to skip the salt next time.
    Today I did not have enough blueberries to make a batch, but did have a big bag of cherries just begging to be used. So I pitted what I had–very labor-intensive as I did not have a pitting tool, but got pretty efficient with my little knife. Had only 41/2 cups of fruit so I used less of the lemon and only 1/3 cup of Splenda to sweeten. It was done after only eight minutes in the boil stage. It came out beautifully. Husband had to test it even though it had not cooled thoroughly. Soo good. Might try a little less Splenda next time.
    I experiment with Splenda all the time, as we really curtail our sweet side!
    Thanks for the inspiration recipes!!! S.

• chacha wrote:

I LOVE EASY JAMS to refrig. also canning. I just got 6 Lbs. of these little jems at a great price. SO versatile to use as GIFTS I dont think soooooooo WELL maybe a coupe of 1/2 pts. to tease my friends. They get jealous when I tell them what I make. OH WELL Cant wait to try the APRICOT recipe. This will go great with yogurt in a shell and jam on top.

• Jaime wrote:

Oh my goodness! I didn’t know you posted this, thanks, Lori!! I’m not that great at getting jam to jell. So I crossed my fingers on this recipe!! Phew! So glad it worked for you and that you’re enjoying the book!

Love you!! <3

• Nutmeg Nanny wrote:

This is a must try! I love homemade jam 🙂 it reminds me of my grandmother

• Karen wrote:

Thanks, Lori! We’re vacationing at this very minute in New England where the local blueberries are ripe and wonderful. You’ve reminded meI should make a batch of jam to take away.

• Nessa wrote:

I’ll be making this in the near future! Yum 🙂

• Des @ Life’s Ambrosia wrote:

I am not a canner at all that is why I LOVE this. Can’t wait to try it!

• Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. wrote:

I love how easy this is! Canning intimidates me too so this is just perfect!

• Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking wrote:

OMG that looks so good, Lori! Perfect for spreading on croissants or even adding to baked treats. Love it!

• Carla @ Carlas Confections wrote:

I am definitely a strawberry girl, but I am LOVING this blueberry jam 😀

• Gabrielle wrote:

This jam looks delicious. I was actually thinking about my favorite dessert in the whole wide world this morning which happens to be my grandma’s blueberry pie. This jam reminds me of the pie filling. Since she lives so far away, I might have to make my own blueberry jam instead.