These delicious Caramel Pecan Cheesecake Bars are topped with a layer of gooey caramel, a drizzle of melted chocolate and chopped pecans.
Cheesecake bars are a delicious dessert. They’re perfect because you can cut them into bars and dish them out as easy individual servings. This maybe helps you from eating too much. One bar is plenty to satisfy your craving for sweets. And since the recipe makes 24 bars, there are plenty to share with everyone around you!
If you’re a cheesecake lover (then you’re also my best friend), these bars are especially for you. There is a thin vanilla wafer crust and a thick cheesecake layer. The bars have a fabulous chocolate and caramel topping with a sprinkle of pecans included too. After a nice chill in the refrigerator, they cut cleanly into bars and are perfect for a dessert treat.
Since I’m an extremely avid cheesecake and caramel lover, I’ll include full disclosure here. I added more caramel to the bars when it came time to serve individual pieces. They’re especially good with more caramel oozing over the top and down the sides.
This is the perfect baking project for a lazy weekend. I suggest you bake them for a party and watch your guests fall in love. They always get rave reviews. Enjoy!
Caramel Pecan Cheesecake Bars
- 1½ cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 50 wafers)
- ¼ cup (½ stick) salted butter, melted
- Four 8-ounces packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 24 soft caramels, unwrapped
- 1 tablespoon water
- Three 1-ounce squares semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line 13x9-inch baking pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Spray the foil and the sides of the pan with nonstick spray.
MAKE THE CRUST:
- Combine vanilla wafer crumbs and melted butter in a medium bowl. Press firmly onto the bottom of the prepared pan. Place the pan with the pressed crust into the refrigerator or freezer while you prepare the filling.
MAKE THE FILLING:
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the cream cheese and sugar on medium speed until well-blended. Add the sour cream, flour and vanilla; mix well. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition just until blended. Pour the filling over the crust and spread to make an even layer. Bake 40 minutes or until the center is almost set. Cool completely.
ADD THE TOPPINGS:
- Place the caramels and water in a microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute or until caramels are completely melted when stirred. Pour the warm caramel over the cheesecake; top with the chopped pecans. Melt the chocolate as directed on package (I just put mine in a glass bowl in the microwave for a couple of minutes); drizzle over the cheesecake.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. Use a knife to loosen the sides of the cheesecake, then use the foil to gently remove the cheesecake from pan and onto a cutting board. Cut into pieces to serve. Store leftovers in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.
- *The longer you leave the bars in the refrigerator, the more the caramel will tend to liquify and drizzle off of the bars. If this happens to yours, just microwave a little bit more caramel and drizzle it onto the bars before serving.