Ceviche Style Shrimp and Avocado Tacos are tacos that are served with a cold shrimp salad filling on either corn or flour tortillas.
These tacos have a unique twist because they are served cold. That makes them an awesome recipe to enjoy in warmer weather. The filling doubles down as a tasty salad too. Consider serving it on lettuce leaves as the starter to your next dinner party (with the shrimp added in). Or grab some chips and use it as a shrimp/avocado/tomato salsa!
- lime juice
- green Tabasco sauce (or green taco sauce)
- sea salt
- tortillas (corn tortillas are lighter, but you can also use flour)
- cooked shrimp
How to make Ceviche Style Shrimp and Avocado Tacos:
In a glass or ceramic bowl, combine avocado, tomato, cilantro, lime juice, green Tabasco sauce and sea salt. Refrigerate while you get the rest of the recipe ready. It’s okay to prep this step an hour or two ahead of serving. Just wrap the bowl with plastic wrap and keep chilled.
NOTE: you can also choose to add the shrimp to this mixture and let it all marinate together.
Soften up your tortillas, as desired. You can use corn or flour. Divide the shrimp between the tortillas, and top with the filling. Serve immediately!
What makes these tacos “ceviche-style?”
Traditional ceviche involves raw fish that has been “cooked” in a citrus marinade. Since this recipe uses shrimp that is already cooked, it’s not “technically” ceviche in the traditional sense. But the lime juice combines with the shrimp to give it that ceviche-style flavor.
The filling is delicious on its own. But there are some things you can add in to make it more your style.
Suggested additions to the filling:
- Add in some chopped mango.
- Chopped red onion or sweet onion is a nice addition.
- Stir in a couple tablespoons of freshly squeezed orange juice for a citrus flavor.
- Add chopped jalapeño for a spicy kick.
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you will find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
Ceviche Style Shrimp and Avocado Tacos
- 2 large avocados, peeled and diced
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 large limes, juiced
- 1 teaspoon green Tabasco sauce
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Twelve 6-inch corn tortillas (can also use flour)
- 1 pound cooked, peeled medium shrimp (frozen is fine- defrost, rinse and drain)
- In a medium bowl, combine the avocado, tomato, cilantro, lime juice, Tabasco and sea salt. Gently mix together, and then refrigerate while you get the tortillas ready. NOTE: alternately, you can mix in the shrimp and let it marinate with the rest of the filling.
- Warm the tortillas as desired, heated in the oven or fried.
- Divide the shrimp between the tortillas and top with the avocado mixture. Serve immediately.
- If preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just make sure that you are using a brand of corn tortillas that is designated as GF.