Always a family favorite for dinner, these Slow Cooked Carnitas Tacos are so easy to make in your Crock-Pot!
My family loves these tacos. We put them together with low carb tortillas, avocado, green chile salsa, light sour cream, cilantro and red bell pepper. Mango salsa is also a great combination with the pork. Add some juicy slices of watermelon and you’ve got yourself a nice, summery Mexican meal.
Slow Cooked Carnitas Tacos
- 2 pounds boneless country style pork ribs or pork shoulder (Boston Butt), cut into 1½ inch pieces and trim some of the fat off and discard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
- ½ large onion, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 large avocado, halved, pitted and sliced
- fresh cilantro
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 8 medium tortillas (corn or flour)
- 1 cup green chile salsa
- Toss pork in bowl of slow cooker with salt, pepper, and oregano to coat. Place onion pieces atop pork. Cover slow cooker and cook pork on low setting until meat is very tender and falling apart, about 6 hours (I've left it up to 10 hours, and it's been perfect either way).
- Using slotted spoon, transfer pork to cutting board. Discard onion pieces. Using fingers, shred pork; transfer carnitas to platter. Place avocado slices, cilantro sprigs, and sliced red bell peppers, if desired, alongside.
- Wrap corn or flour tortillas in damp kitchen towel; microwave until warm, about 1 minute. Serve carnitas with warm tortillas and green salsa.
- If you need to prepare this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, just be sure to use a GF corn tortilla instead of flour.