Chicken and Summer Vegetable Tostadas are a super easy meal to make for dinner!
These tostadas are quick, easy and summery fresh. Pull out the corn on the cob and pick a zucchini for this one. They have a summer vibe to them. Think about adding more summer veggies that you happen to have on hand (or in your garden) too!
How to make Chicken and Summer Vegetable Tostadas:
It’s easy! The chicken and vegetable topping is made in a skillet on the stove. You’ll spice the chicken and sauté it with vegetables, salsa and cilantro. Then you’ll broil the tortillas, then sprinkle them with the topping and some cheese and broil them again.
Note about the flour tortillas:
This recipe calls for using low carb flour tortillas. You can use any flour tortillas. If you like regular flour tortillas, then use regular flour tortillas.
To serve, top them with a little sour cream, cilantro and fresh tomato.
Topping substitution and addition suggestions:
If you’re vegetarian, you can simply plan to use all vegetables instead of adding chicken. You could add black beans or refried beans for protein. These would also be delicious with a little avocado or guacamole on top.
Relax with an easy night in the kitchen making these Chicken and Summer Vegetable Tostadas, and maybe serve a little Spanish rice on the side. Enjoy!
Here are a few more summer recipes you might like to try:
- Summer Gratin
- Summer Vegetable Quiche
- Sweet Summer Iced Tea
- Summer Vegetable Pasta Salad
- Dump and Bake Summer Pasta
- Summer Macaroni Salad
- Grilled Steak Chopped Summer Salad
Chicken and Summer Vegetable Tostadas
- 12 ounces chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- Four 8-inch low carb flour tortillas
- cooking spray
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 4 tablespoons light sour cream
- additional chopped tomato, to garnish (optional)
MAKE THE CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE TOPPING:
- Dice the chicken and place it in a medium bowl. Combine the cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl; sprinkle over the chicken and toss to combine.
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet to med-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan; sauté for 3 minutes. Add the onion, corn, and zucchini to pan; sauté for 2 minutes or until the chicken is done. Stir in the salsa and 2 tablespoons of the cilantro. Cook 2 minutes or until the liquid almost evaporates, stirring frequently.
TORTILLAS AND ASSEMBLY:
- Working with 2 tortillas at a time, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet; lightly spray the tortillas with cooking spray. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until very lightly browned. Spoon about 3/4 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla; sprinkle each serving with 1/4 cup of cheese. Broil an additional 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and other ingredients. Sprinkle each serving with a tablespoon of sour cream and a pinch of cilantro. Add a little chopped tomato too, if using. Serve immediately.