In this recipe for Chilled Tomato Soup, real tomatoes are used, along with red bell peppers and honey to add a little sweetness.
As it turns out, tomato soup happens to be rather delicious when served chilled! Several years ago, a friend of mine served chilled tomato soup at her house, and it was amazing. I always kicked myself for not asking for the recipe! So when I was browsing a Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook recently, I spotted a chilled tomato soup. I was so happy to discover a recipe. I adapted this one slightly from that recipe, and I think you’re going to be surprised how good it is- especially in the summer months when it’s blistering hot outside and steaming hot soup is not the best thing to eat!
- red bell peppers
- sweet onion
- fresh basil
- reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- cherry tomatoes, for garnish (optional)
How to make Chilled Tomato Soup:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Garnish with basil and cherry tomatoes.
Add shrimp and chopped avocado to make it more of a main dish. It’ll be a little like shrimp gazpacho!
If you’re a fan of chilled soup recipes, you might also like to try my recipe for Chilled Avocado Soup. Yum!
Great Tomato Soup Recipes:
- Herbed Tomato Soup
- Tomato Florentine Soup
- Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Chipotle Chicken and Tomato Soup
- 10 Minute Tomato Soup
Chilled Tomato Soup
- 6 medium (2 pounds) tomatoes, cored and seeded
- 2 medium red peppers, chopped (need 1½ cups)
- ½ medium sweet onion (need ¼ cup)
- ¼ cup snipped fresh basil
- 1 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
- fresh basil and halved yellow/red cherry tomatoes, for garnish
- In a food processor (or powerful blender), combine half of the tomatoes, half of the sweet peppers, half the onion and half of the basil along with half of the broth. Cover and process or blend until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan. Repeat with the remaining tomatoes, peppers, onion, basil and broth.
- Cook the soup over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until heated through. Stir in the honey.
- Transfer the soup to a covered container, and refrigerate for up to 24 hours before serving cold. Garnish with basil and cherry tomatoes.