A delicious and decadent dessert: Chocolate Pound Cake
This is a simple, delicious and chocolatey pound cake recipe… a dense cake with a chocolate ganache drizzled on top.
I used my super cool Nordic Ware Bundt Pan for this recipe. It’s the most awesome bundt pan I’ve ever owned… the cake slides out perfectly shaped with no sticking at all. I love the tight ridges- it’s a beautiful shape.
You’ll need vanilla ice cream for this one. The cake is super chocolatey… so that vanilla will cut help balance out the chocolate overload!
Chocolate Pound Cake
- 1½ cups (3 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups granulated white sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Top with powdered sugar OR a simple chocolate ganache: Add ⅔ cup semisweet chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl and heat 1 minute to soften the chocolate; set aside. Heat ¼ cup cream in a glass measuring cup until very hot, but not boiling. Pour the cream over the chocolate and let stand for 1 minute. Whisk together until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is very smooth. Pour over the cake or let stand until slightly thickened and pour over later.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 inch bundt or tube pan.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter and sugar. Drop the eggs in one at a time while mixing, beating well after each add.
- Sift the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa. Then mix in a little at a time, alternating with the milk. Beat until the ingredients are completely incorporated, then mix in the vanilla.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Tap on the counter to remove any possible air pockets. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake for an additional hour.
- You can either sprinkle powdered sugar on top or follow the directions above for drizzling with a chocolate ganache.
Here are a few more pound cake recipes you might enjoy:
- Coconut Pound Cake by Chef In Training
- 7-Up Pound Cake by RecipeGirl
- Lemon Pound Cake by Crazy for Crust
- Cream Cheese Pound Cake by RecipeGirl
I am making this chocolate pound cake for a Memorial Day party this weekend. Do you recommend a certain brand of unsweetened cocoa? I have Hershey’s on hand, but would a more expensive brand be a better choice?
Hersheys should be just fine!
Just a quick question to clarify: After it comes out of the oven, should it cool in the pan, or out? Or a mix, like “wait ten minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack?”
I usually give it 10 to 20 minutes, then turn it out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
WoW, just got the same cake pan tried making a chocolate cake, boy it was bad. This recipe looks delicious, can’t wait to make it. Maybe I could take a picture and show it off?