These Chocolate Swirled Peanut Butter Cookies are easily in my top 10 favorite cookie list. They’re a delicious peanut butter cookie with chocolate swirl baked into them. The texture is lightly crisp.
My Mom used to make these delicious little bake & slice rolled chocolate-swirl cookies when I was growing up. I’m sure she got the recipe out of some sort of 70’s cheesy checkout-aisle mini magazine but it’s really a genius, wonderful recipe. Before Mom died, she still made them once a year during the holidays, hauling them on the airplane to bring to my house. I adore them and will eat far too many in one sitting. I took Mom’s recipe modified it a bit to make these chocolate swirled peanut butter cookies!
- unsalted butter
- creamy peanut butter
- white sugar
- brown sugar
- all purpose flour
- baking soda, baking powder and salt
- semisweet chocolate chips
- sweetened condensed milk
How to make Chocolate Swirled Peanut Butter Cookies:
The full, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
The first step is making the peanut butter cookie dough. In a large bowl use an electric mixer to cream the butter, peanut butter, sugars and eggs. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and blend together until combined. Divide the dough into 2 parts. Pat the dough into balls, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until more firm (about an hour should be perfect).
Next, make the chocolate swirl. In a medium bowl, melt the chocolate chips with the sweetened condensed milk and shortening in the microwave. Set for a minute, stir, then 30 seconds more, stir and continue until melted and smooth.
Let them cool for a few minutes on the pan, and then carefully transfer them with a spatula to a wire rack to cool completely.
I love these Chocolate Swirled Peanut Butter Cookies with all my heart. And they make me think of my Mom, which is a sweet memory. I hope you love them as much as I do. Enjoy!
The best Peanut Butter Cookie Recipes:
- Chocolate Drizzled Peanut Butter Cookies
- Great Grandma’s Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Reeses Stuffed Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Swirled Peanut Butter Cookies
PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE DOUGH:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon shortening
MAKE THE PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE DOUGH:
- In a large bowl use an electric mixer to cream the butter, peanut butter, sugars and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and blend together until combined.
- Divide the dough into 2 parts. Pat into balls, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until more firm (about an hour should be perfect).
MAKE THE CHOCOLATE SWIRL:
- In a medium bowl, heat the chocolate chips with the sweetened condensed milk and shortening in the microwave. Set for a minute, stir, then 30 seconds more, stir... continue until melted and smooth.
ASSEMBLE AND BAKE:
- Roll out 1 ball of dough into a large rectangle (about 11x15-inches, not too thin) on a thin floured towel. (The dough will be soft, so roll gently).
- Spoon dollops of the chocolate mixture onto the rolled out dough (using about ½ of the chocolate), then spread carefully to cover most of the rectangle.
- Using the towel as a guide, carefully lift the towel to help roll the rectangle into a log. Wrap the "log" in the towel and place into the freezer for about 20 minutes, or until the log has had a chance to firm up slightly. It's okay to leave it in the freezer longer than 20 minutes. It's easier to cut when firm.
- While the first batch is in the freezer, roll out the second ball of dough. If the chocolate mixture has firmed up a bit, just stick it back in the microwave to melt again. Stir until smooth and spread the remaining chocolate on the rolled out dough. Roll up into a log and freeze until ready to bake.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpat mats.
- Remove the firmed-up cookie log from the freezer and cut into ¼-inch slices.
- Bake on the prepared cookie sheets 13 to 15 minutes, or until the cookies no longer look or feel gooey.
- Do not use natural peanut butter for this recipe. You won't have good results.