This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: Peanut Butter- Chocolate Swirl Cookies.
Chocolate- Swirled Peanut Butter Cookies
These bake up perfectly- not too soft and not too crisp- and the peanut butter cookie is a nice complement to that wonderful chocolate swirl.
Prep Time:30 min + chill time
Cook Time:15 min
PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE:
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 Tablespoon shortening
1. In a large bowl with electric mixer, cream butter, peanut butter, sugars and eggs.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix in to wet mixture and blend together until combined.
3. Divide dough into 2 parts. Pat into balls, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until more firm (about an hour should be perfect).
4. Roll out 1 ball of dough into a large rectangle (about 11x15-inches... not too thin) on a thin floured towel. (Dough will be soft-ish, so roll gently).
5. In a medium bowl, melt chocolate chips with sweetened condensed milk and shortening in the microwave. Set for a minute, stir, then 30 seconds more, stir... continue until melted and smooth.
6. Spoon dollops of the chocolate mixture onto the rolled out dough (using about half of the chocolate), then spread carefully to cover most of the rectangle.
7. Using the towel as a guide, carefully lift the towel to help roll the rectangle into a log. Wrap the "log" in the paper towel and place into the freezer for about 20 minutes, or until the log has had a chance to firm up slightly. It's okay to leave it in the freezer longer than 20 minutes. It's easier to cut when firm.
8. While first batch is in the freezer, roll out the second ball of dough. If chocolate mixture has firmed up a bit, just stick it back in the microwave to melt again. Stir until smooth and spread remaining chocolate on the rolled out dough. Roll up into a log and freeze until ready to bake.
9. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (or grease cookie sheets).
10. Remove firmed up cookie log from the freezer and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
11. Bake on prepared cookie sheets 13 to 15 minutes, or until cookies no longer look or feel gooey.
*Do not use natural peanut butter for this recipe- you won't have good results.