An enjoyable appetizer or a delicious addition to dinner: Cranberry Meatballs
Prep Time:25 minutes
Cook Time:20 min
- 2 pounds ground beef (don't use any less than 10% fat)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) jar chili sauce
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- chopped chives or green onions for garnish, optional
- Combine first 8 ingredients (through thyme) in a large bowl. Shape mixture into about 50 (1-inch) balls.
- Cook meatballs, in batches, in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned (about 5 minutes); remove meatballs from pan, and drain well on paper towels.
- Stir together cranberry and chili sauces and remaining ingredients in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, and cook, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes or until smooth. Add meatballs; reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until centers are no longer pink.
- Bottled chili sauce is found in your market near the ketchup.
- To make ahead, place cooked meatballs in a zip-top plastic freezer bag, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw in refrigerator, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated.