Crostini with Gorgonzola, Caramelized Onions and Fig Jam is a delicious and elegant appetizer recipe.
When you’re at a party, it’s so nice to be able to reach for things like crostini on the appetizer display table. They’re filling, and they’re usually topped with yummy things. It’s kind of like eating a little open-faced sandwich. This Crostini with Gorgonzola is likely to become a new favorite. There are a great combination of flavors going on!
- yellow onions
- balsamic vinegar
- fresh thyme
- Gorgonzola cheese
- fig jam
How to make Caramelized Onions:
Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add the onion, vinegar, thyme, and salt; cover and cook 5 minutes. Uncover and cook 20 minutes or until the onion is deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. While the onion cooks, add 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup at a time (as needed), to keep the onion from sticking to the pan.
How to make Crostini with Gorgonzola, Caramelized Onions and Fig Jam:
Toast the crostini. It just needs a few minutes in a hot oven to become lightly crisp and golden. Watch it closely though because you don’t want it to become too crisp or too browned (or burnt).
Spread a little gorgonzola on each piece of toasted crostini. Spoon a few caramelized onions on top and then a little fig jam.
What’s the difference between Crostini and Bruschetta?
The difference between bruschetta and crostini is the bread used. Bruschetta is made by toasting whole, wide slices of a rustic Italian or sourdough type bread. Crostini are sliced and toasted from a smaller, round bread, more like a French bread baguette. Bruschetta is topped with fresh toppings like tomato, beans and/or artichoke hearts, while crostini is usually topped with things like soft cheese, jam and olive spread.
This Crostini with gorgonzola is a lovely two-bite appetizer that is perfect for parties. The gorgonzola is such a delicious pairing with caramelized onions and sweet jam. Fresh thyme adds some fabulous flavor too. Enjoy!
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
Crostini with Gorgonzola, Caramelized Onions and Fig Jam
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water (optional)
- ½ cup (4 ounces) Gorgonzola cheese, at room temperature
- 12 ounce French bread baguette, cut into 24 1-inch diagonal slices (toasted)
- ⅓ cup fig jam (heated a little in the microwave to soften it up)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
CARAMELIZE THE ONIONS:
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onion, vinegar, thyme, and salt; cover and cook 5 minutes. Uncover and cook 20 minutes or until onion is deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. While the onion cooks, add ½ cup water, ¼ cup at a time (as needed), to keep the onion from sticking to the pan.
ASSEMBLE THE CROSTINI:
- Spread 1 teaspoon of cheese over each baguette slice. Top each slice with about 1 teaspoon of the onion mixture and 1 teaspoon of jam. Sprinkle evenly with thyme leaves.