This Green Olive and Almond Spread recipe suggests using Spanish Marcona almonds- those fabulous skinned almonds that you see in Gourmet Shops. They’re a little flatter than ordinary almonds with a richer flavor. Most Marcona almonds that you purchase have already been sauteed in oil and lightly salted. Look for them at Costco or in gourmet markets.
Green Olive and Almond Spread
Prep Time:20 minutes + time at room temperature before serving
- 1/2 cup pitted briny green olives
- 1/4 cup Marcona almonds or other (skinned) almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- for serving- sliced zucchini, sliced cucumber, and/or toasted thin baguette slices
- Combine olives, almonds, tarragon and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until roughly chopped. Add oil in a steady stream and process just until the oil is absorbed.
- The spread should have a coarse but easily spoonable texture. Let stand for about 30 minutes for the flavor to develop before serving.
- To toast almonds, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F., stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. (Alternatively, finely chop the olives, almonds and tarragon by hand and combine with lemon juice and oil in a medium bowl.)