Lemon Almond Cookie Brittle is baked into one giant cookie and is then broken apart into pieces.
Cookie brittle is something a little bit in-between a traditional cookie and brittle candy. The cookie dough is pressed flat into a pan and baked until crisp. Then it’s broken apart like classic brittle. The texture of this Lemon Almond Cookie Brittle is crunchy but not hard. It has a shortbread flavor that is flavored with lemon zest and with real almonds mixed in. It’s so delicious, and it’s such a unique treat!
- white sugar
- lemon zest
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- toasted, chopped sliced almonds
- powdered sugar
How to toast almonds:
Place the chopped almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until the almonds are fragrant and lightly browned. Remove the almonds to a paper towel or cutting board to cool.
How to make Lemon Almond Cookie Brittle:
The dough for this cookie brittle is similar to a shortbread-style dough. There are no eggs in the dough. Butter is combined with sugar, lemon zest, vanilla, flour and salt to form the base of the dough. A few toasted almonds are mixed in to the dough too.
The dough is spread into a rimmed baking pan, and then more toasted almonds are sprinkled on top. The whole pan of Lemon Almond Cookie Brittle is baked for 20 minutes, until it all turns a nice, golden brown.
A little bit of powdered sugar can be dusted on top.
After letting it cool for a bit, the whole cookie can slip right out of the pan. You can cut it into pieces, or you can use your hands to break it apart into pieces.
The giant, crispy cookie breaks apart easily. You can make the chunks as large or small as you’d like.
The flavor of this Lemon Almond Cookie Brittle is reminiscent of almond pastry with a tinge of lemon. It reminds me of shortbread too. I think you’ll like adding it to your cookie rotation. Enjoy!
Here are a few more brittle recipes you might like to try:
- Almond Brittle
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Brittle
- Salted Maple Pecan Brittle
- Macadamia Nut Brittle
- Brown Sugar Cashew Brittle
- Peanut Brittle
Lemon Almond Cookie Brittle
- 3/4 cup (1½ sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1½ teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted sliced almonds
- sifted powdered sugar, for dusting the top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar, lemon zest, vanilla and salt; beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. When it becomes too thick, stir in any remaining flour, lemon zest, and 1/3 cup of the almonds with a wooden spoon.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2-inch rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle the remaining almonds over the top; press lightly into the surface.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the top is golden. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Break or cut into pieces.
- To freeze, break the cooled cookie into pieces. Place in a freezer- safe container, and freeze for up to 1 month. To serve, thaw in the container at room temperature for 15 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar.