These Double Orange Scones with Orange Butter have delicious little mandarin oranges baked into the scones!
When you’re out and about in the coffee shops, it’s not often you’ll spot orange scones. It’s a unique flavor for a scone. Now you can bake them at home!
This scones batter has canned mandarin oranges mixed in. So when you take a bite you’ll get a chunk of one of those delicious little mandarin oranges. Everyone loves those, right?
This recipe makes 14 mini scones. Mini scones are perfect for snacking, and they are a good addition to breakfast without being too heavy. Sometimes eating a traditional, larger sized scone just feels like too much.
These Orange Scones are plain and simple scones on their own. But the recipe below will show you how to make a simple orange butter to serve with them.
The orange butter is super simple- made with just two ingredients. It’s a combination of butter and orange marmalade. And it’s the perfect pairing with the warm orange scones.
If you’re looking for more recipes featuring mandarin oranges, you might also like to try my Orange Sherbet Jello Salad or this Mandarin Orange Green Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing. Pig Cake, Orange Chinese Chicken and this Mandarin Orange Pretzel Dessert are delicious mandarin orange themed recipes too!
Double Orange Scones with Orange Butter
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup salted butter
- 1 11-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
PREPARE THE SCONES:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and orange zest. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or two knives to form coarse crumbs. Add the oranges, milk and egg and then stir until mix leaves sides of bowl and forms a sticky dough. Flour your hands and knead lightly 10 times.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle on a floured board and cut into 14 triangles. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the scones lightly with the sugar.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
PREPARE THE ORANGE BUTTER:
- Mix the softened butter and marmalade and place in small serving bowl. Serve with warm scones.
Excellent flavor. Creative idea. I am a novice at baking. Please tell me how to fold in the oranges without smashing them up so much.
Just gently stir them in with a rubber spatula.