Here’s an Easy Angel Food Cake recipe that is made with just a few simple ingredients. It’s light and airy and has hints of vanilla and almond flavors. It can be topped off with frosting, berries or even a simple glaze.
Classic cakes such as this easy angel food cake are some of my favorite cakes to bake. These are the cakes that I grew up baking with my Mom and Grandma, and they always bring back the best memories.
This cake is soft, light, airy and has a delicate texture. It’s great to serve as a strawberry shortcake or you can top it off with whipped cream and fresh berries or even a drizzle of chocolate ganache.
I used blueberry pie filling as a topping and it was to die for! You can also use cherry pie filling.
If you have been making angel food cake from a box, you really don’t know what you are missing out on because this homemade version is so much better!
Some people are intimidated by making this cake at home because if the recipe is not followed properly, the cake can deflate. However, I will be sharing lots of tips and tricks so that you end up with a perfect easy angel food cake every single time.
Tips for Making the Best Angel Food Cake
- Do not grease the bundt pan or the batter will not rise well.
- You must use a tube pan and not a bundt pan because the tube shape really helps with the baking and the classic appearance of this cake. I highly recommend using a 2 piece angel food cake pan because it is easier to remove the cake from the pan.
- You must use cake flour. You can easily make it at home with just 2 ingredients. That’s what gives this cake its delicate texture.
- You can omit almond extract if you are not fond of it, but the classic version has both vanilla and almond extracts.
- The cake must completely cool down before you remove it from the pan. Just run a spatula around the pan and invert it.
- Don’t add any toppings to the cake until it has fully cooled and been removed
from the pan.
- Slice this cake with a serrated knife because a knife with a smooth blade will compress
and “squish” it rather than make a perfect slice.
I hope you try this recipe and enjoy it as much as my family does.
Easy Angel Food Cake
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1½ cups granulated white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 12 large egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup blueberry pie filling (store bought or homemade- optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cake flour, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla extract and almond extract for 5 to 7 minutes, OR until stiff peaks form.
- Use a rubber spatula to gently fold the dry ingredients into the egg white mixture.
- Pour the batter evenly into an UN-GREASED angel food cake pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes OR until the top is golden brown and there are some cracks. The top should spring back with a gentle touch.
- Once the cake is fully baked, invert the pan upside down and let it cool down completely. Run a spatula around the cake gently remove it from the pan.
- Top it off with blueberry pie filling (if desired) and serve immediately.