Easy Tater Tot Casserole is the ultimate comfort food dinner. It has a creamy, ground beef sauce and it’s topped with plenty of melted cheese.
I love this retro-casserole recipe for its simplicity and guilty pleasure indulgence. It’s not often anymore that we cook for convenience. I definitely cook more fresh and healthy or grilled dinners than anything else. But every once in a while I love a comfort food meal like macaroni and cheese, fried chicken or this easy Tater Tot Casserole. It has a short list of ingredients, and it’s very simple to make.
- ground beef
- frozen Tater Tots
- cream of mushroom soup
- cheddar cheese
How to make Easy Tater Tot Casserole:
Brown ground beef and chopped onion in a hot skillet. Use any ground beef that you have on hand. You will spoon out and discard the extra fat before continuing with the recipe.
Transfer the ground beef to a 9×13-inch pan and top with frozen Tater Tots. In a pinch, you could also use frozen hash browns for this recipe.
The sauce for this easy Tater Tot casserole is a mix of canned cream of mushroom soup and milk. The recipe calls for 2 cans of soup. So if you wanted to mix things up and use one can of cream of chicken and one can of cream of mushroom, you could do that. Or if you’re not into mushrooms at all, use all cream of chicken soup.
Pour the sauce on top of the Tater Tots and spread it evenly to cover.
Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top, and bake. Use a mixture of cheeses like Jack and cheddar, if you’d like.
Dig in and serve! Sometimes we just feel like eating a good comfort food meal, and this is the one to make.
Since this Tater Tot casserole is a pretty indulgent meal, you might want to consider serving it with an excellent salad such as my Easy Gourmet Salad, Avocado Pine Nut Salad or simply sautéed green beans. Enjoy!
Easy Tater Tot Casserole
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots
- Two 10.75-ounce cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; remove and discard the fat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with the Tater Tots. In a medium bowl, whisk together the soup and milk. Pour over the potatoes. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes.