My family loves these Fish Tacos with Chipotle Cream! It’s simply grilled white fish combined with cabbage, corn and cilantro and a lightly spiced cream sauce all wrapped up in a corn tortilla.
We love our fish tacos but we usually have the Baja Style deep-fried original. I know it’s the dead middle of winter, but summer will be here before you know it and we’re attempting to eat lighter. So these lighter style fish tacos are the way to go!
The recipe comes from Ellie Krieger, one of my favorite cookbook authors. I think it must have been published in a magazine many years ago, and I clipped the recipe. She seriously develops the best heathy recipes. Ellie Krieger cookbooks are my favorites.
How to make Fish Tacos with Chipotle Cream:
This healthy version of the classic fish taco is very easy to put together. Tilapia is marinated lightly for about 20 minutes (though you can use any white fish that flakes apart easily… snapper, cod, orange roughy or halibut.)
While the fish is marinating, you have time to shred some cabbage, take corn out of the freezer, chop up cilantro and slice some limes. The sauce is a simple mix of yogurt, sour cream and canned chiles in adobo sauce. It’s a spicy sauce, but you don’t notice it so much since there’s just a small dollop inside each fish taco. The fish is grilled up quickly, and the tortillas are thrown on the grill too just before serving.
To assemble, lay out a warmed corn tortilla, add a little sauce. Then add fish, cabbage, corn and cilantro. Squeeze a lime wedge on top.
My family loves these healthier fish tacos… which is BIG because they’re quite used to the Beer Battered Fish Tacos. Don’t skip out on the adobo chiles in the sauce. That’s what adds the flavor to the meal.
WW friendly tacos!
If you are following the Weight Watchers plan, then you’re in for a treat. This Fish Tacos with Chipotle Cream recipe is WW friendly! You can eat two tacos per serving. Each serving counts as 6 points on the purple and blue programs and 8 points on the green program. They’re filling and delicious!
Fish Tacos with Chipotle Cream
- ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces tilapia
- Eight 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1½ cups shredded green cabbage
- ½ cup corn
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
PREPARE THE CHIPOTLE CREAM:
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, sour cream and chipotle chiles. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
PREPARE THE FISH:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Put the fish in a pyrex dish and pour the marinade over the fish fillets; let marinate for 20 minutes.
- Remove the fish from the marinade and grill on a preheated grill or nonstick grill pan over a medium-high heat until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Set the fish aside on a plate for 5 minutes. Flake the fish with a fork.
ASSEMBLE THE TACOS:
- Heat the tortillas on the grill or grill pan for 30 seconds on each side.
- Top each tortilla with 1 tablespoon of the chipotle cream. Top with fish, cabbage, corn and cilantro; serve with lime wedges.
- You can sub another white, flaky fish for the tilapia if you'd like (such as halibut).