This Greek Beef Stew recipe is easily made in the slow cooker. It has great, unique flavors that are a little different than classic beef stew.
What makes this stew so unique? Traditional Greek beef stew is called Stifado. It’s slow cooked with a cinnamon stick to give it a little spice. And it’s typically made with pearl onions and cooked in a tomato-based sauce. The result is super tender, melt-in-your-mouth beef served with vegetables in a rich beef broth. It’s quite delicious.
- baby carrots
- pearl onions (or a large chopped onion)
- cinnamon stick
- olive oil
- boneless chuck roast
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- canned diced tomatoes
- tomato paste
- lemon zest
- dried oregano
- crumbled feta cheese
How to make Greek Beef Stew:
The full, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Serve in bowls. An added Greek twist is to sprinkle a little crumbled feta cheese on top (that’s optional, of course).
Doesn’t it look absolutely wonderful? Stew is such a great comfort food meal. This is definitely one to try. Enjoy!
The Best Stew Recipes:
- Irish Stew
- Chicken Stew with Balsamic Roasted Vegetables
- Brazilian Fish Stew
- Beef and Guinness Stew
- Basque Lamb Stew
Greek Beef Stew
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 pound pearl onions, trimmed (or use one large onion, chopped)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Two 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Place the carrots, onions, and cinnamon stick in a large slow-cooker insert.
- Heat the oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the beef, in batches if necessary; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- Place the beef on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker. Sprinkle with garlic, salt and pepper; top with tomatoes. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours or until the beef and vegetables are tender.
- Gently remove the beef and vegetables with a slotted spoon and wrap in foil to keep warm; discard the cinnamon stick. Add the tomato paste, lemon zest, and oregano to the slow cooker; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened and heated through. Stir the beef and vegetables back into the sauce. Serve in bowls and sprinkle each serving with cheese.