Green Salad with Strawberries and Sugared Almonds is a totally delicious spring and summer salad recipe with a few simple ingredients and a homemade dressing.
It’s not often that I rave about recipes, but this salad is a good one. It’s very similar to my Triple Berry Salad with Sugared Almonds (a website and Recipe Girl Cookbook favorite!) But it’s a little bit simpler than that recipe, and it only calls for strawberries.
The sugared almonds are totally addicting. You may wish to make extra because you’ll want to keep nibbling on them!
How to make Green Salad with Strawberries and Sugared Almonds:
The first step is making the sugared almonds. Heat a small skillet with sugar in it. The sugar will begin to melt in the skillet. Add slivered almonds and stir to coat the almonds in sugar and let the almonds turn light brown. Remove the almonds from the skillet onto a surface for cooling where they are not going to continue to cook- a glass pie plate works just fine.
Make the dressing. It’s a mixture of olive oil, sugar, fresh parsley, white wine vinegar, sea salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce. Whisk it all together!
Once you have the sugared almonds and dressing prepared, it’s time to assemble the salad. In a large bowl, add salad greens, chopped celery, chopped green onions and fresh, sliced strawberries.
At this point, if you want to serve the salad later, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
When ready to serve, toss the salad with the dressing and then sprinkle in the sugared almonds.
Serve, and enjoy! I’m guessing my green salad with strawberries and sugared almonds is going to become a new favorite salad of yours. You might like to make it often! If you want to make a main dish salad out of it, add some chopped chicken or grilled steak. We like to do that with our grilling leftovers to make a light dinner. It’s delicious!
Green Salad with Strawberries and Sugared Almonds
- 3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- dash freshly ground black pepper
- dash Tabasco sauce
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 16 ounces chopped red or green leaf lettuce (or a mix of the two)
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 pint strawberries, (cleaned, hulled and sliced)
PREPARE THE ALMONDS:
- In a small skillet, heat the sugar over medium heat until it begins to melt. Add the almonds to the pan and toss rapidly until the sugar coats all of the almonds and the almonds are lightly browned. Pour them out onto a glass dish and separate almonds with a fork. Cool until hardened and break into pieces.
PREPARE THE DRESSING:
- In a small bowl, combine all of the dressing ingredients except for the olive oil. Add the oil in a slow stream, whisking as you add the oil until the dressing thickens.
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD:
- Place the greens, celery, green onions and strawberries in a large bowl. Toss them with the dressing. Add almonds, toss lightly and serve.
- *If preparing this salad as VEGAN, just make sure that you're comfortable w/ the brand or type of sugar/sweetener you're using- that it's considered vegan.