I enjoy this Ham and Spinach Puff Pancake for lunch sometimes, but it makes for a great savory breakfast too!
What’s a Puff Pancake?
A puff pancake is very much like a giant popover baked in a pie plate. Sometimes they can be sweet- like when you make an apple puff pancake or my double berry puff pancake. This ham and spinach puff pancake is a savory variety. Think of it as a giant popover with savory omelette-style fillings.
- salted butter
- all purpose flour
- frozen spinach
- fresh mushrooms
- chopped ham
- shredded cheddar cheese
How to make a Ham and Spinach Puff Pancake:
The full, printable recipe is at the end of this post. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
The first step is making the pancake base. Place the butter in a 9-inch pie plate and heat in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes until melted. In a bowl, whisk the milk, flour, eggs and salt for 3 minutes, or until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared dish. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brown.
Spoon the spinach mixture into the center of the hot pancake and sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup cheese. Place back into the oven until the cheese on top is melted. Cut into wedges, and serve!
Now that you know how to make a puff pancake base, you can get creative with what fillings you’d like to use. This ham and spinach variety is certainly delicious. But you may also want to try bacon, caramelized onions and tomatoes. Sausage, bell peppers and mushrooms would be a great combination too. Or you can go completely vegetarian with all of your favorite veggies. The cheese can be changed up to any kind of good melting cheese that you like best.
Favorite Savory Breakfast Recipes:
- Swiss Onion Quiche
- Green Chile, Bacon and Egg Cheese Bake
- Savory Breakfast Bundt Cake
- Avocado Toast- Three Ways
- Easy Breakfast Strata
Ham and Spinach Puff Pancake-
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) salted butter
- ¾ cup milk
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- One 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 8 ounces cooked ham, cubed
- 6 ounces (1½ cups) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the butter in a 9-inch pie plate and heat in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes until melted. In a bowl, whisk the milk, flour, eggs and salt for 3 minutes, or until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared dish. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brown.
FILLING & FINISHING
- Squeeze the excess moisture from the thawed spinach. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms and onion to the butter and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender, stirring often. Stir in the spinach and ham.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes longer, or until the filling is heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese. Spoon the spinach mixture into the center of the hot pancake and sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup cheese. Place it back into the oven for a few minutes, just until the cheese is melted.
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately.