Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon is a good recipe to try if you’re looking for something hearty, delicious and quick-to-make.
Have you ever tried classic Beef Bourguignon? It’s amazing… especially when you’ve had it in France! It’s a meat dish that, when properly cooked, simmers for hours on the stove. This recipe cuts down the cooking time enormously by using a pressure cooker. But you know what? It still turns out so delicious! It’s a nice compromise for the classic meal that Julia Child once showed us takes all day to cook. So grab your Instant Pot, and make this Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon for dinner!
About Beef Bourguignon:
Traditionally a French dish, beef bourguignon is a beef stew that has been simmered in red wine and flavored with vegetables. It’s usually served with potatoes or noodles. You may also see it referred to as “beef burgundy.”
Half Baked Harvest Super Simple
Amazon affiliate links are included within this post.
This recipe comes from a book by blogger Tieghan Gerard: Half Baked Harvest Super Simple- More Than 125 Recipes for Instant, Overnight, Meal-Prepped, and Easy Comfort Foods. This is a brand-new book. I’ve only had it a few weeks, and this is the first recipe I’ve tried from the book so far. The book is beautiful. It’s one to display prominently on your cookbook shelf. And every recipe is accompanied by a photo. The recipes are creative and different. There are a lot of good ideas for new things to try.
Here are a list of droolworthy things I want to make from this book: Avocado Breakfast Tacos, Coconut Banana Muffins, Cinnamon Roll Bread, Balsamic Peach and Brie Tart, Maple Cinnamon Acorn Squash, Honeycrisp Apple Bourbon Smash Cocktail, Everything Bagel Salad, Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup, Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Pizza, Pumpkin and Sage Lasagna, Spaghetti Squash Alfredo, Coconut and Chickpea Curry, Instant Chicken Gumbo, Gingered Apple Pork Chops, Thai Basil Beef, Lobster Tacos, Blondie Brownie Bars and Bourbon Peach Pandowdy. Honestly… there are too many to mention.
How to make Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon:
First, you’ll need a pressure cooker. It doesn’t have to be an Instant Pot, but that’s the one everyone seems to have these days. This recipe is meant to be cooked in the Instant Pot since it only takes one hour to cook. Classic Beef Bourguignon recipes simmer on the stove for many hours. This is a quick and easy version.
Beef chuck cubes are tossed with flour, salt and pepper. Bacon is cooked on the the sauté function on the pressure cooker and then removed to drain. The the beef is added to the pot and sautéed until browned. Onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms are then added in along with red wine, beef broth, tomato paste, fresh thyme and the cooked bacon. At this point, the pressure cooker is sealed and the meal is cooked on high pressure for 35 minutes.
Once the pressure is released, the sauté function is turned on again until the sauce has thickened slightly. Then it’s all ready to be served over your favorite mashed potatoes!
The beef comes out oh-so-tender. Thank goodness for the Instant Pot because without it the beef would need to simmer for a long time on the stove to become that tender. The red wine “gravy” that accompanies the beef and the vegetables is quite delicious. That’s why serving it over potatoes is such a great idea. The potatoes get to soak up all of that gravy, and you will love that! Serve it with your favorite wine (or the wine you used in the recipe).
I hope you’ll try this meal for your next comfort food meal. It happens to be a good one for a Sunday night dinner. But since you’re making it in the pressure cooker, it can be a weeknight meal too. Enjoy!
Here are a few more Instant Pot recipes you might like to try:
- Instant Pot Strawberry Jam
- Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
Thanks to Tara Liptak from the blog, Smells Like Home for the beautiful photography on this post. Tara is one of the photographers for RecipeGirl.com, and I think she captured the deliciousness of this recipe very well!
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
- 2 pounds beef chuck (fat trimmed), cubed
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 cups dry red wine (Pinot Noir or Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- mashed potatoes, for serving (if desired)
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, flour, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Scatter the bacon into the instant pot and, using the sauté function, cook, stirring frequently, until the fat has rendered and the bacon is crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pot and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease.
- Add the beef to the pot and, using the sauté function, cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Stir in the onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Pour in the wine and beef broth, then add the tomato paste, thyme and bacon. Stir to combine. Lock the lid in place, select high pressure, and cook for 35 minutes.
- Quick or natural release, then open when the pressure subsides. Remove the thyme sprigs and discard. Using the sauté function, cook until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes more.
- Serve the beef over mashed potatoes, if desired. Store any leftovers refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Nutritional information does not include mashed potatoes.