You’ll enjoy this lighter side salad recipe: Lemon Basil Three Bean Salad
I’ve just returned from some time in Italy… where I ate loads of well-deserved pizza and pasta. But my body is done with all of that, and it’s begging me to eat a little cleaner for a couple weeks. This salad is good for that. Tossed with a light dressing, it’s one that will fill you up for sure.
This salad is reminiscent of the three bean salad of yesteryear… which happens to be my favorite bean salad ever. No sugar in this salad though. It doesn’t need it.
I enjoyed having this as a side to a grilled chicken breast for lunch. It’s definitely not pizza or pasta… but my body is thanking me for it nonetheless.
Lemon Basil Three Bean Salad
Prep Time:15 minutes
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper, as much as desired
- One 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- One 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup cooked shelled edamame
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet white onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 5 large basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Whisk together the lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the beans, edamame, onion, bell peppers and basil- toss to coat. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, just be sure to use brands of beans that are known to be GF.
- Nutritional information per serving (serving size 3/4 cups): Calories: 160, Fat 3g, Sat Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 427mg, Carbohydrates 26g, Fiber 8g, Protein 9g
- Weight Watchers Points: Freestyle SmartPoints: 1, Original SmartPoints: 5, PointsPlus: 4, Old Program: 3