Lemon Blueberry Muffins are just about the best things to bake on a lazy weekend morning!
Grab some fresh blueberries, and bake these muffins today! You’ll need one and a half cups of the best, sweetest, most juicy blueberries. Good blueberries will make good muffins! Blueberries can be rather bland when eaten on their own, but adding lemon to pair with them is the right thing to do. The acid in the lemon balances out the blandness of the blueberry. They are a perfect pairing!
How to find the best blueberries:
Size doesn’t matter. Color matters! Berries should be deep purple-blue to blue-black. Reddish blueberries aren’t ripe, and won’t ripen once they are picked but you can use them in cooking. Avoid blueberries that look soft or shriveled or have any signs of mold. I always pick up the baskets of blueberries in my market and turn them upside down to see how the blueberries look on the bottom too!
These are a perfectly delicious, classic blueberry muffin with a little bit of lemon flavor (using lemon zest) and a tiny bit of cinnamon spice.
Muffins are great for breakfast, of course, but they’re also a good snack food… for you or your kids. Enjoy a lemon blueberry muffin for an afternoon snack, or you can tuck them into lunch boxes too.
Can these muffins be made ahead of time?
Yes! Muffins in general can be made ahead and enjoyed later. Simply bake y0ur muffins, and then slip them into a large freezer zip baggie. Then just take out a muffin when you’re ready to enjoy it. Single muffins shouldn’t take very long at all to defrost. After they’re defrosted, I like to heat them up a little in the microwave. It softens them up a bit, and then they are perfectly warm for butter too!
Here are a few more muffin recipes you might enjoy:
- Peach and Brown Sugar Muffins
- Irish Soda Bread Muffins
- Brown Sugar Banana Muffins
- Strawberry Buttermilk Muffins
- Raspberry Muffins
- Pineapple Muffins
- Triple Chocolate Muffins
- Tri Berry Muffins
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 4½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1½ cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 medium lemons, zested (you need the zest only!)
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- coarse sugar, to top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 16 muffin cups with nonstick spray or melted butter.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs together. Stir in the oil and the milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in the cinnamon, lemon zest and blueberries.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with the batter. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with coarse sugar, if using.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean.