Lobster Macaroni and Cheese is just about one of the most decadent mac and cheese recipes there is with chunks of rich lobster meat, pasta noodles and a very cheesy, creamy sauce.
There’s a steakhouse in Dallas where we usually have dinner when we’re visiting our son who lives there. And every single time we go to that restaurant, he orders the lobster macaroni and cheese. It’s super rich, and we always order it to share between us. It’s just about the most delicious thing I’ve ever eaten. This recipe is a copycat of that fabulous mac and cheese. I think I’ve come pretty darn close. This mac is amazing!
- elbow macaroni
- unsalted butter
- yellow onion
- whole milk
- all purpose flour
- Gruyere cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Romano cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lobster meat
- panko breadcrumbs
How to make Lobster Macaroni and Cheese:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Stir in the cooked pasta, onions and the lobster meat.
Spoon out individual servings. This recipe makes 8 servings. A little serving is a lot because it’s so rich. As you can imagine, a glass of chilled white wine is a wonderful accompaniment to lobster macaroni and cheese. Enjoy!
The Best Macaroni and Cheese Recipes:
- Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Vegetable Boats
- Homestyle Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Spinach Macaroni and Cheese
- Spring Vegetable Macaroni and Cheese
Lobster Macaroni and Cheese
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups (16 ounces) Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 3 cups (24 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) grated Romano cheese
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 to 8 ounces lobster meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
COOK THE PASTA:
- Fill a pot with salted water, and bring to a boil. Cook the macaroni for about 8 minutes, until al dente (cooked, but still a bit firm).
COOK THE ONIONS:
- In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, Add the onion, and cook until the onion is cooked through- about 5 minutes. Scrape the onions in a bowl; set aside.
MAKE THE SAUCE:
- Add the milk, shallot, garlic and peppercorns to the saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- In a separate medium-large pan, melt 5 tablespoons of butter over low heat. Whisk in the flour, and stir until the flour has browned- about 5 minutes. Strain the milk through a sieve, and gradually whisk the milk into the flour mixture in the pan. Simmer over medium heat until the mixture is thick and smooth- about 10 minutes.
- Stir the cheeses into the milk mixture until the cheeses have melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in cooked pasta, onions and the lobster meat. Scrape the mixture into a 4-quart casserole. Sprinkle with panko crumbs.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and the bread crumbs have browned.