My Mom’s Banana Nut Bread Recipe has always been a favorite in my family.
I’m sure everyone’s Mom has been making banana bread since the beginning of time. My Mom is no exception. I have a lot of banana bread recipes on the RecipeGirl site, but Mom’s Banana Nut Bread recipe is my favorite basic banana bread. We’re not big on nuts in my family, so I usually just sprinkle a few on top (or leave them off completely) when I make this recipe.
The texture of this banana bread is never dry. It turns out to be super tender and moist. Sometimes I even cut down on the oil and use 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup applesauce instead of using a full 1/2 cup of oil in the bread.
How to make Mom’s Banana Nut Bread Recipe:
This is a very easy banana bread to make. In one bowl, you’ll mix sugar, oil, mashed ripe bananas, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. In another bowl, you’ll mix flour, baking soda and nuts (if using). Then you’ll combine the two and scrape the batter into a loaf pan. The bread takes about an hour and fifteen minutes to bake in the oven. Print the complete recipe at the end of this post.
How to make your own buttermilk:
If you don’t want to buy buttermilk, it’s easy enough to make buttermilk at home. All you need is milk and lemon juice or vinegar. For this recipe, you’ll need 5 tablespoons of buttermilk. Put 5 tablespoons of milk in a glass. Add 3/4 teaspoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to the milk. Let it sit for a few minutes. The milk will curdle slightly, and it becomes acidic… which is what you’re looking for when buttermilk is called for in a recipe.
How to store banana bread:
After you bake your banana bread, you should always wrap it with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out. If you keep in wrapped and refrigerated, you will extend the life of your banana bread by one week. If you’d like to freeze banana bread, wrap it well in plastic wrap and then place it in a freezer zip bag. Banana bread keeps in the freezer for up to three months.
Here are a few more banana bread recipes you might enjoy:
- Greek Yogurt Banana Bread
- Best Banana Bread
- Rum- Coconut Banana Bread
- Kona Inn Banana Bread
- Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Raspberry- Dark Chocolate Banana Bread
- Pineapple Banana Bread
Mom's Banana Nut Bread
- 1½ cups granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour one 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, oil, bananas, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; whisk together well. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and nuts (if using). Stir into the wet mixture and pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- *Use 1/4 cup applesauce and 1/4 cup oil to cut down on the fat. Still wonderful.
- *Nutritional information does not include the optional walnuts.