This No Bake Double Layer Pumpkin Pie has an easy and delicious pumpkin layer with a second layer surprise hiding underneath. It’s a delicious option for a Thanksgiving meal or a fall dinner party.
If you’re like me, and you’re intimidated by the whole process of baking homemade pies like apple pie, you might consider this no bake recipe before you run to the store to buy one that no one is going to like very much. I can get by with my pie recipes, for sure, but I practically break out in hives while making them. Making pies truly makes me nervous. This pie recipe though is as easy as pie. I couldn’t resist that one, sorry!
How to make No Bake Double Layer Pumpkin Pie:
It all starts with a no bake, graham cracker crumb crust made from just three combined ingredients (graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar). Just press the mixture into the pie pan and then place it in the freezer until firm. (Sure, you can buy a prepared graham cracker crust, but you know it won’t taste the same as if you make it homemade, so make it homemade!)
I have something to confess. I occasionally eat Cool Whip. Don’t get me wrong… I like homemade whipped cream as much as the next guy, but Cool Whip has seen the inside of my refrigerator many times, and it’s in this recipe too.
This is the cream cheesy Cool Whip layer (the secret layer). If you’re weirded out by the idea of using Cool Whip, go ahead and whip some of your own cream. I’m sure that will work out just fine too in this recipe.
The next no-bake layer is basically a pumpkin pudding.
Smooth it all out and guess what?? You’re done! Just pop it in the fridge to chill for a few hours. Easy, huh?
We had some friends over the other night to play the guitar and sing songs by our first fireplace fire of the season. This was the treat I served that night, and everyone was very happy. It’s like eating pumpkin pudding with a cheesecake surprise layer tucked in there and some buttery, sugared graham crackers too!
No Bake Double Layer Pumpkin Pie
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened greatly
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon cold whole milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 8 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
- One 15-ounce can unsweetened pumpkin puree
- Two 3.4-ounce packages vanilla instant pudding
- 1 cup cold whole milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
PREPARE THE CRUST:
- In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar. Press the crumb mixture on the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Place the crust-lined pan in the refrigerator or freezer until the crust is very firm.
PREPARE THE 1st LAYER:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cream cheese milk and sugar until smooth (you can also use an electric hand mixer for this). Gently stir in 1½ cups Cool Whip. Spread the cream cheese layer evenly on the bottom of the prepared crust.
PREPARE THE 2nd LAYER:
- In a second bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, pudding mixes, milk and spices. Whisk until well blended (the mixture will be thick). Spread the pumpkin layer over the cream cheese layer.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours, or until well-set. Serve slices topped with more Cool Whip. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired.