Nice recipe for a Sunday night dinner: Orange Glazed Cornish Game Hens
Orange Glazed Cornish Game Hens
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Three 1 pound Cornish game hens, split lengthwise
- 1 medium orange, cut into 6 wedges
- orange slices, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a small saucepan with nonstick spray coating. For sauce, cook onion and garlic in the saucepan until onion is tender.
- In a small bowl, stir together chicken broth, orange zest, orange juice, honey and cornstarch. Stir into onion mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more, then remove from the heat.
- Rinse hen halves and pat dry. In a shallow roasting pan place each hen half atop one orange wedge. Baste with some of the sauce.
- Roast hens for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender and no longer pink. Baste hen halves with sauce after 30 minutes.
- Transfer hen halves to a serving platter. If necessary, reheat remaining sauce and serve with hen halves. If desired, garnish with orange slices.
- Use kitchen shears to cut hens in half. A good bread knife will also cut through the hens (but may dull the blade).
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use a brand of chicken broth that is known to be GF.
More cornish game hen recipes you might enjoy:
Marinated Cornish Game Hens by Reluctant Entertainer
Cranberry- Stuffed Cornish Hens by RecipeGirl
Herb-Roasted Cornish Game Hens by A Hint of Honey
Honey Mustard Game Hens by RecipeGirl
Butter-Roasted Cornish Hens by Bell’alimento