Here’s a recipe for Roasted Cornish Game Hens with Apricot Ginger Glaze:
Roasted Apricot Ginger Glazed Game Hens
- Two 1½ pound Cornish game hens
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup apricot jam
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Set rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 450° F.
- With a sharp knife or poultry shears, remove the backbones from the hens and slice through the breastbone, cutting hens in half.
- Brush skin of the hens with 2 teaspoons of the sesame oil and set them, skin side up, on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle skin with ½ teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper.Roast until hens are almost cooked through (an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh should register 165° F), about 25 minutes.
- Heat 2 teaspoons sesame oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring often, until soft and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in preserves/jam, honey, soy sauce, and lemon juice; bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened slightly, 4 to 5 minutes. Dissolve the cornstarch in 1 teaspoon water, add to saucepan, and cook until the mixture thickens, another 1 minute.
- Brush the hens with the apricot ginger glaze and continue to roast until the glaze has browned in spots and the thermometer registers 170° F. in the thigh, another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use brands of apricot jam and soy sauce that are known to be GF.