Here’s a festive holiday cookie for you: Peppermint Puffs
Grab some smashed candy canes and make these cuties for your holiday cookie platters! They’re a good one to bring for a cookie exchange too.
These cookies pretty much hold their shape, they don’t spread, only puff up a bit when they bake. So it’s really important to actually roll them into the balls.
Yield: 3 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 40 minutes + chill time
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces white chocolate, melted with 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1/2 cup finely chopped candy canes
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in the egg. Beat in the peppermint and vanilla extracts.
- On low speed, beat in the flour mixture. Shape the dough into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray (or parchment paper).
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls (roll with your hands) for a total of 36 cookies; place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely. When cool, drizzle with melted white chocolate; dip in chopped candy canes. Let cool completely to harden.
Here are a few more peppermint themed holiday cookie recipes you might enjoy:
- Peppermint Sugar Cookie Bark by My Baking Addiction
- Peppermint Dream Butter Cookies by Recipe Girl
- Peppermint Snowball Cookies by BruCrew Life
- Peppermint Sugar Cookies by Recipe Girl