This Red White and Blue Potato Salad is a delicious salad addition to summer parties and barbecues. It’s a combination of white fingerling potatoes, red potatoes and blue/purple potatoes too!
About the Red White and Blue Potato Salad:
This unique potato salad recipe is tossed in a Dijon vinaigrette dressing instead of the usual mayonnaise potato salad standby. There are plenty of fresh herbs mixed in to give it so much flavor and texture.
People get tired of store-bought potato salad. I don’t know what it is about it, but you can spot store-bought salads a mile away. Take the time to make it homemade!
This is a fun salad to add to your menu at a patriotic party. Include a bunch more red, white and blue recipes at your party to make it super festive!
In this Red White and Blue Potato Salad, the cut potatoes are lightly coated with the vinaigrette. That’s all they really need. You won’t miss the mayo at all, and it’s nice to serve up something a little different.
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
Red, White and Blue Potato Salad
- 2 cups (about 10 ounces) fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups (about 10 ounces) small red potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups (about 10 ounces) small blue (purple) potatoes, halved lengthwise
- 3 large hard boiled eggs, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
PREPARE THE SALAD:
- Place the fingerling and red potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool slightly. Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl.
- Place the blue potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool slightly. Add the blue potatoes, egg, onion, parsley, dill, and chives; toss gently.
PREPARE THE VINAIGRETTE:
- Whisk together the vinegar and remaining ingredients. Pour over the potato mixture; toss gently to combine. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
- This recipe uses a trio of potatoes, but use all of one type if you prefer. Blue potatoes are starchier than the others and tend to bleed, so cook them separately. If you need to, prepare this dish a day ahead, but add the blue potatoes just before serving.
- Be sure to cut potatoes to uniform size.
- If you're preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE- just make sure that the brand of Dijon you're using is GF.