This Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette and Sugared Pecans is a simple salad with a fantastic dressing.
It’s nice to have a salad recipe on hand that isn’t so ho-hum and the same old thing. This one is definitely unique. The homemade citrus vinaigrette is easy to make, and it’s a totally great flavor addition to this salad. The sugared pecans are the other nice addition. This is one yummy salad!
- white sugar
- cayenne pepper
- orange juice
- grapefruit juice
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- Dijon mustard
- soy sauce
- fresh ginger
- mixed greens
- dried cranberries
How to make Citrus Vinaigrette:
Place all vinaigrette ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Process, and then transfer to a bowl or jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
How to make Sugared Pecans:
Heat a skillet. Add the pecans and cook until toasted. Add the sugar and cayenne pepper, and cook an additional minute until the sugar has melted onto the pecans. Remove the nuts from the pan and let them cool on waxed paper or a cutting board.
How to assemble Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette:
In a large bowl, combine mixed greens and orange sections.
Add 3/4 cup of the citrus vinaigrette and toss.
Plate individual servings topped with sugared pecans and dried cranberries. Enjoy!
Here are a few more salad recipes you might like to try:
- Chicken Florentine Salad with Lemon Parmesan Vinaigrette
- Pear and Apple Salad with Gruyere and Toasted Pecans
- Simple Italian Salad
- Mandarin Orange Green Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- Kale Salad with Butternut Squash
Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette and Sugared Pecans
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons granulated white sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ⅓ cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 10 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 medium naval oranges, peeled and sectioned
- ¼ cup sweetened, dried cranberries (craisins)
PREPARE THE PECANS:
- Heat a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-low heat. Add the pecans and cook for 6 minutes, stirring until lightly toasted. Sprinkle with sugar and red pepper and cook an additional minute. Remove from heat and cool on wax paper or a cutting board.
PREPARE THE VINAIGRETTE:
- In a blender, combine all vinaigrette ingredients and process until smooth. Pour into a bowl; cover and chill. (Makes 1⅓ cups and will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for one week).
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD:
- In a large bowl, combine the greens, ¾ cup of citrus vinaigrette, and orange sections. Toss well.
- To serve, place 1 cup of greens mixture on each of 8 plates. Top with 1½ teaspoons pecans and 1½ teaspoons cranberries. Serve immediately.
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use brands of Dijon and soy sauce that are GF.