Love, love, LOVE this salad recipe: Pear and Apple Salad with Gruyere and Toasted Pecans
This salad is full of fall fruit, and it’s tossed with a simple dressing. This is the kind of salad that’s impressive to serve at a dinner party or at a holiday gathering. It’s okay to leave something out if it’s not something you like. But I suggest you make it as instructed. It’s a good one!
- balsamic vinegar
- whole grain mustard
- salt and pepper
- vegetable or canola oil
- Boston lettuce
- spinach leaves
- lemon juice
- Gruyére cheese
How to make Pear and Apple Salad:
Start off by making the dressing. Whisk together balsamic vinegar, mustard and salt/pepper. Whisk in the oil. Set aside.
Chop lettuce and spinach, and place them in a bowl. Toss chopped pear and chopped apple with lemon juice in a separate bowl, and then add them to the greens. The lemon juice will help prevent the apples and pears from browning.
Add grapes and cheese.
Toss the salad with the dressing. Sprinkle the toasted pecans on top.
Serve immediately… Enjoy!
How to toast pecans:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and toast in the middle of the oven for 8 minutes, or until fragrant. Let cool to room temperature, then chop coarsely.
If you like this salad, you might also like some of these other fall salad recipes:
- Mixed Green Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Cranberry Spinach Salad with Gorgonzola
- Roasted Beets and Butternut Squash Salad
- Maple Roasted Pumpkin Salad
- Autumn Salad with Maple Cider Vinaigrette
Pear and Apple Salad with Gruyere and Toasted Pecans
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 head Boston lettuce, chopped
- 6 ounces spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 medium ripe Anjou or Comice Pears
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2½ cups seedless grapes, halved
- 5 ounces Gruyere cheese, chopped
- ¾ cup pecan halves, toasted (see NOTES BELOW)
PREPARE THE DRESSING:
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil.
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD:
- Place the lettuce and spinach in a medium salad bowl and toss together. Core the pears and apples and cut them into ½-inch dice. Place in a separate bowl and toss with the lemon juice. Add the pears and apples to the salad bowl along with the grapes, Gruyere and dressing; toss.
- Sprinkle the toasted pecans on top, and serve.
- HOW TO TOAST PECANS: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and toast in the middle of the oven for 5 to 8 minutes, or until fragrant. Keep a close eye on them so they don't burn. Let cool to room temperature, then chop coarsely.
- *If preparing this recipe as gluten free, just be sure to use a brand of whole grain mustard that is designated as GF.