I’m crazy about pasta. And I’m crazy about salmon. So it makes sense that I’m crazy about this Salmon Pasta recipe. This is a whole wheat penne pasta tossed with fresh salmon, peas, shallots, a light cream sauce and Parmesan cheese.
My never-ending quest to be healthy and feel great means I’m making small changes this year in my eating habits. So far so good… I’m cutting down on sugar, eating more fruits and vegetables, and subbing healthy grains like quinoa for white rice. As far as I’m concerned, those are some positive, healthy changes.
There is nothing my family loves more than a rich and creamy pasta recipe. I lightened this one up a bit with a lighter cream sauce, and I used the whole wheat pasta to make it healthier overall. I like to use noodles that have a hole in them (like this penne) because the sauce can make its way into the center of the noodle, and that just makes the dish just a little more delicious!
I expected my family to say something about the pasta… that it was weird or healthy-tasting or “not normal.” I didn’t hear a peep. They loved the pasta- whole grain and all, ate every last bite, and fought over the leftovers! I’d say that’s a little victory!
Here are a few more salmon recipes you might enjoy:
- Salmon BLT Sandwiches by Recipe Girl
- Pistachio Lime Baked Salmon by Reluctant Entertainer
- Barbecued Salmon by Recipe Girl
- Salmon Ravioli by The Italian Dish
- 2 cups whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces salmon, skin removed and cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- more Parmesan, for serving
- Cook pasta according to package instructions (sometimes whole wheat pasta takes a little longer to become tender). Drain and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium- high heat. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the shallots, salmon and peas. Stir and cook until salmon is cooked through and shallots are tender.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and stir until lightly browned. Slowly mix in the milk and cream. Continue to stir over heat until it begins to boil and thicken slightly. Remove from heat, add the Parmesan, salt and pepper (to taste), and stir until cheese is melted into the sauce.
- Add the pasta and sauce to the pan with the salmon. Turn heat to medium and stir the mixture together. Heat until all is warmed up. Divide between four bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan (if desired) and additional salt and pepper, as needed.