These Sauteed Cherry Tomatoes make a super easy side dish to serve with your grilled meats and fish!
Okay, okay… you might notice that they’re not actually “cherry” tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes are little round things. These are actually pear tomatoes, which I view as basically the same thing. You can use either cherry tomatoes OR pear tomatoes for this recipe. Bonus if you get get them in two different colors!
I bought a little container of yellow and a little container of red for my recipe. I believe I’ve spotted orange too! This dish is obviously going to be best in the summer when tomatoes are naturally in season and tasting their best.
If your tomatoes are small enough, it’s okay to keep them whole like I did. If you happen to be using cherry tomatoes that appear to be a little bit larger, cut them in half.
How to make Sauteed Cherry Tomatoes:
Heat a little olive oil in a skillet, and add your tomatoes and a little bit of sugar (just 1 to 2 teaspoons). Let the tomatoes cook a while, just until they begin to soften and get a little wilty-looking. Add some fresh garlic in there and stir around, just until the garlic is fragrant.
Then pull the tomatoes from the heat! Stir in a couple of tablespoons of fresh basil, and a good sprinkle of salt and pepper. That’s it! And there’s your perfectly easy summer vegetable side dish.
I must admit, these sauteed cherry tomatoes are quite sweet and addicting. They’re going to be a new favorite of yours for sure. I can never stop eating them!
Here are a few more tomato-themed recipes you might like to try:
- Spaghetti with Three Tomato Sauce
- Sauteed Tomatoes with Thyme
- Mac and Cheese with Roasted Tomatoes
- Southern Tomato Pie
- Tomato Foccacia
- Fresh Tomato and Goat Cheese Tart
- Marinated Tomatoes
- Shallot- Mustard Tomato Salad
Sauteed Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups cherry or pear tomatoes (whole or halved)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the tomatoes and sugar and cook, tossing frequently, until the tomatoes are hot, about 1 minute. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Off heat, stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
- Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints per serving: 2
- For Paleo or Vegan, leave out the sugar!