Sautéed Chicken with Cherries is an easy-to-make chicken recipe that is a healthier dinner choice as well.
If you’re looking for a new chicken recipe, then this Sautéed Chicken with Cherries recipe is one to try! You can use fresh cherries (to make this in the summer), or you can use frozen cherries (and make it any time of year!) The chicken is cooked with the cherries and a few other ingredients to create a sweet cherry sauce. It’s a great pairing with the chicken.
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- sweet onion
- dark red cherries (fresh or frozen)
- cherry or raspberry all-fruit jam
- red wine vinegar
- chopped fresh tarragon or parsley
How to make Sautéed Chicken with Cherries:
Brown one side of the chicken thighs in a heated skillet. Turn the chicken over, and then scatter onion around it. Cook until the onion is softened, 8 to 9 minutes. Turn the chicken over again. Add the cherries to the pan, along with cherry or raspberry jam and a sprinkle of salt. Simmer until slightly thickened.
To finish it off, add a little red wine vinegar to the sauce. Sprinkle fresh tarragon or fresh parsley on top, as garnish. Transfer the chicken and sauce to a serving dish, if desired.
We love this Sautéed Chicken with Cherries served with steamed or roasted broccoli. It’s also delicious served with rice or roasted potatoes. You should have plenty of extra sauce to eat with your side dishes!
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, this chicken recipe will be one that you can make on the program. There are four servings in the recipe and you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below. If you’re not following any kind of diet plan, you can just be happy that this is a healthy and delicious dinner. Enjoy!
Sautéed Chicken with Cherries
- 16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ½ medium sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pitted dark red cherries, halved
- 3 tablespoons cherry or raspberry all-fruit preserves
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon or parsley, for garnish
- Spray a medium nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add the chicken, skinned side down, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken over and scatter the onion around it. Cook, covered, until the onion is softened, 8 to 9 minutes.
- Turn the chicken again; stir in the cherries, preserves and salt. Increase heat and cook, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in vinegar. Sprinkle tarragon or parsley on top, to garnish.
If you’re going to post a recipe, at least give credit where credit is due. This is a WW recipe from the March/April 2008 magazine. It’s a delicious recipe and I’ve been using it for years.
Thanks so much for pointing that out. I did not have a source! I’ve added WW as the source in the recipe.
Can this be frozen?
Haven’t tried freezing this recipe, so I’m not sure.
This was so good. Not overly sweet. My family loved it, it’s a keeper recipe.
This sounds really good, I am going to make it this weekend. Thanks for sharing.