Sauteed Chicken with Tangy Tomato Sauce is a great, lighter dinner recipe.
This is a super easy dinner to make for a busy weeknight. Serve it on its own for a nice, low-carb style meal. Or serve it over rice with all of that delicious tomato sauce and sautéed peppers to accompany the chicken. Sauteed Chicken with Tangy Tomato Sauce is a good recipe to make if you’re trying to eat a little bit lighter.
How to make Sauteed Chicken with Tangy Tomato Sauce:
Lightly coated chicken is sautéed in a skillet with a tiny bit of olive oil. The chicken is then removed from the pan, and a tomato and bell pepper mixture is mixed in and sautéed to create a tangy sauce. After cooking that for a couple of minutes, the chicken is added back into the pan until it is cooked though- only about 8 more minutes. It’s that easy!
There is plenty of sauce to go around to top the chicken for individual servings. You can serve it over rice or alongside a few roasted potatoes.
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers program, this point totals are included at the top of this post. They’re very low, which is awesome!
Here are a few more chicken recipes you might enjoy:
- Chicken Pizzaiola
- Indian Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- Lemon Chicken
- Baked Parmesan Chicken Tenders
- Beer Can Chicken
- Korean Fried Chicken
Sauteed Chicken with Tangy Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 whole green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup fat free, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- In a low wide bowl, combine flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil until hot but not smoking over medium-heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Set aside.
- Add green onions and garlic to the pan and cook until the green onions are softened, about 1 minute. Add the vinegar, increase the heat to high and cook until slightly evaporated, about 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients, plus the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil, add the chicken back to the pan, reduce to a simmer; cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Divide the chicken and sauce among 4 bowls and serve.
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten free, use GF all-purpose flour in place of regular, and be sure to use a brand of chicken broth that is designated as gluten free.